Crunch Captain Deluxe / MI Audio, Super Crunch Box.

eh là bas ma

Just finished this build, and I am already very impressed with the result.

Unfortunately, musikding made a confusion with the Crunch Captain version in my last order. I built the other version first, and waited for musikding to send me the right kit. I received it today, but it was missing a few things : BC549C (fortunately I have a few of these in my stash) and both LM833. They sent three 1044...

I don't have any LM833, so I used NE5532 instead, and it still sounds amazing. I wonder if I'll notice any difference when I will receive the correct ICs.

Surely you recognized the tiny metallic squares ? From the pots ? I often like to highlight the diy touch, not very sensitive to industrial/professional looks when it comes to music (and eveything else, I guess).

Always using acrylic paint and varnish to complement my builds. Copious amount of varnish protects the paint and allows to stuck various things on the enclosure.
IMG_20230227_233932.jpg
IMG_20230227_233840.jpg

Many thanks to @sticky1138 and @spi who recommended this build, I probably would have missed this great stompbox without you ! I am very grateful for this good suggestion.

This version is much more interesting than Angry Charles and Crunch Captain I already built. It's easier to find some good settings with it, there is more treble range than with the Angry Charles, it can do much more than the Crunch Captain.

I've been tempted to use a couple of germanium diodes instead of 1N4148, D9E or OA1182, and I thought maybe it wouldn't work, let's build it stock ?

I really like what both Mode and Clip toggles are doing, very effective and great tones. Powerful EQ... It's perfect ?

Glory to PPCB, Musikding and MI Audio !

Last edited:
Back