Daisy as an onboard effects processor

jclegg

Member
So years ago, when Electra made a line of guitars and basses, discontinued some time in the 80's, that featured built in effects that could be swapped out via plug-in modules:
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
11184F.jpg
A couple of drawbacks to this approach: only two effects could be used at any given time, each module only had one control on the front, so adjusting other parameters required opening up the back to twiddle the corresponding knob.

I regularly enter the annual Winter Build-Off over at TalkBass; the theme this year was rather broadly defined as "Rebirth/Renewal", so I decided to take a fresh approach to the onboard effects by using a Daisy as an onboard effects processor. I've decided to address some of the shortcomings of the by using by including a display in the upper horn of the bass and replacing the two pots with rotary encoders that can be used to adjust any of the parameters . My build thread over there focuses primarily on the bass building aspects; I decided to post a thread here to deal with the Daisy development side of things.
 

jclegg

Member
While looking around on the Daisy forums, I found a multi-effects project that someone had posted there along with a link to the source code. Since the author had things pretty well worked out, I decided to adapt the infrastructure that he had developed. The controls will be 2 rotary encoders, 2 pushbuttons, and the two toggle switches. I'm setting the signal chain up for 4 slots, 2 of which can be active at any given time:
I adapted his code to worked with a 128x64 OLED display. Since I'm using a tiny little 0.96" diagonal display I reduced the number of lines from 5 to 4 to make the text a bit more readable.
20220216_200942.jpg 20220216_200949.jpg 20220216_201117.jpg
 

jclegg

Member
I just took a look at your build thread, that things going to be nice!
Thanks! I've submitted the bass for the contest.
20220320_183801.jpg
The two unmarked knobs are rotary encoders, the function changes with the current context. the two push buttons change function with context as well. The 2 toggles are basically bypass switches.

I'm looking at using one of the pushbuttons for tap-tempo.
 
Last edited:

jclegg

Member
As mentioned previously, I'm using a terrarium board for the the buffers, +5 V regulator, etc. I have re-purposed the control inputs as follows:

The 6 pots are being used for rotary encoders: each encoder has a 3 lines; 2 for rotation and a push to click.​
The 2 footswitch connections are being used for the push-buttons, the LED connections go to LED's in the pushbuttons.​
The 4 toggle switch connections are used for 2 (ON)-OFF-(ON) momentary SPDT's.​
Here's what the back looks like:​
279641610_10159910364677929_3933415736767523942_n.jpg

And how the controls are (currently) assigned:
Controls.png
I ended up adding a small daughter board to each encoder with a 10k/0.01uF RC filter for the clock and data lines. I also tacked on a vero-board daughter-board to the Terrarium to break out the I2C lines for the OLED display and an I2C EEPROM module.
 

Feral Feline

Well-known member
Fan-freqn-tastic!

So this pic from your TB thread shows where the OLED is mounted?

20220320_183810-jpg.4628895
 

daeg

Well-known member
This would be phantom powered right? DC injection over the R of a TRS cable?
 

jclegg

Member
I'm using a 7.2V RC battery -- 2200 mAH. Should be good for ~20 Hours between charges. I'm using a soft switch to turn it on/off I'm thinking that I'lll add a auto-off output if the software detects long periods of no activity.

20220409_191937Comp.jpg
 

Matmosphere

Well-known member
For a sec I thought "why would you do that to that cool old bass" but the result is excellent. Looks great and I bet the daisy is fun to have on board.

A lot of us cut our teeth on the Electra Distortion when we were getting started.
 

jclegg

Member
No, I wouldn't do that to an original. I've been enjoying working with the Daisy; expanding on the effects (the flanger is now a through-zero flanger) , dreaming up other improvements.
 

jclegg

Member
This is really cool!

If I had known you were going to do something as crazy as this we could have worked up a custom fit PCB for it.
Umm well I AM planning to do a six string version ;) Had I known this was a possibility, I would have hit you up!
 
Last edited:
Top