DEMO Dan Boost! A PTP BC108 Boost

This post contains an audio or video demo

jjjimi84

Here is my point to point boost build report and play through. I love this pedal for when I want that kind of screaming Super Reverb sound but just through my Allen Accomplice. It hammers the front end of the amp and is really biting and cleans up beautifully. I built a Dam Red Rooster boost, I believe, on a breadboard and started swapping things around tinkering around with it using my SG and this was the end result. I wanted a way to try and use up this bag of 200 BC 108s I have had forever, so I thought it would be really cool to try to come up with a simple boost and then pair it with a great BC108 fuzz and make a dual pedal. That pedal is built and in this video and could not have happened without @cooder I will be filming a video on that soon.

Here is the schematic;

HJqXSS6l.jpg
DNnGIvpl.jpg

dGitFIOl.jpg
1diN94Bl.jpg

Well, I’m off to look in my tranny box to see what I got. Point to point is my absolute favorite. And great cartoon on the front too, that’s an angry transistor if I’ve ever seen one. Great job!

The outside says "don't touch me" but the inside says "take the risk". That is right up there! Love the sounds as well.

Coincidently, I've had a Red Rooster on the breadboard, I think it's the ultimate boost, but I want a PNP Ge without a charge pump.. (which I have done).

I was trying to keep the hiss down so I can stack it better. If you put a small capacitor (100-470pF) between C & B of the transistor, it will take off some high frequencies and keep the hiss down. Bigger value cutting more high, so you need to make a trade-off. Makes it more stack-able though, I love a rangemaster variant into an opamp overdrive. Makes the opamp sing. Even better with a touch of Chop Shop in between if you keep the gain low on all three..

The outside says "don't touch me" but the inside says "take the risk". That is right up there! Love the sounds as well.

Coincidently, I've had a Red Rooster on the breadboard, I think it's the ultimate boost, but I want a PNP Ge without a charge pump.. (which I have done).

I was trying to keep the hiss down so I can stack it better. If you put a small capacitor (100-470pF) between C & B of the transistor, it will take off some high frequencies and keep the hiss down. Bigger value cutting more high, so you need to make a trade-off. Makes it more stack-able though, I love a rangemaster variant into an opamp overdrive. Makes the opamp sing. Even better with a touch of Chop Shop in between if you keep the gain low on all three..
I am going to have to do some more pedal stacking with it, when it comes to boosters my default is slam the hell out of the front of the amp. I feel like it really brings out the character a bit better.

I am going to have to do some more pedal stacking with it, when it comes to boosters my default is slam the hell out of the front of the amp. I feel like it really brings out the character a bit better.
I love having the amp on edge of breakup, then layer a few pedals together where they are also on the edge of breakup. Typically something transistor based (Ge or Si) into something opamp based. The transistors take off the opamp edge (for my preference at least). Chickenhead/Modus/Simulcast > HoneyBee(st)/Jump/Timmy have been working wonders.

I love having the amp on edge of breakup, then layer a few pedals together where they are also on the edge of breakup. Typically something transistor based (Ge or Si) into something opamp based. The transistors take off the opamp edge (for my preference at least). Chickenhead/Modus/Simulcast > HoneyBee(st)/Jump/Timmy have been working wonders.
Tomorrow is filming day, going to give it a whir with the new amp set up I am trying out.
yup.. nailed it. This is my favorite of your pedals.. that is literally a work of art.... just wow!
Dude thank you!
Amazing love the guts!
Thanks mate, wait to you see what I am working on for you!

Thank you thank you! I was thinking we should do something where anyone builds a variation on that schematic and builds something, i could do a shoot out. Some kind of silly thing like that.
Here you go :) I was just building this, so may as well share. Verified last night, I prefer a lower gain resistor. Used a MP21A of ~60hFE to show it is suitable for cheap, semi-available Germanium:

1670408757026.png
I think I got the schematic right..
1670408616504.png

Attachments

• 1670408013106.png
    1670408013106.png
    75.4 KB · Views: 5
Back