Dark Esbat Boost

HamishR

I have built two of these now - it's a great pedal! Sorry - my computer has decided it doesn't like photoshop so I can't post pics right now, so just imagine a texture-black box with silver knobs on it.

I built the first one completely stock and it's brilliant. It has that old-school treble boost sound but with excellent EQ. You still get that mid-honk - especially with the switch in the down position - but you can add a significant amount of tight, thunderous low end. How you can get lots of low end while remaining tight I don't know, but they managed it. As a clean boost into my Tim it works incredibly well to tighten up the Tim and retain excellent low-string definition. It can make my 335 almost twang and it can also turn my Duojet into a Les Paul - wow. On its own it has decent break-up if you crank the gain - it's an old-fashioned sounding break-up which works best into an already slightly dirty sound.

So in an effort to improve the slightly rigid sounding break-up I built my second with four clipping diodes instead of six. I just used a wire jumper over D3 & 4. And to a degree it worked - It's a slightly more natural sound now but I think I still prefer to use the pedal as a cleanish boost into an already dirty sound.

It's a killer, classic sounding boost.

Back