Dark Rift Delay (only one repeat) :(

Svenson007

Hey guys. This has been a rough build. My first mistake was rushing and assuming. I though all the 1u capacitors were actually 1nf box caps. It just didn’t register that it wound be 1uf ceramic. The space allowed looked perfect for 1nf film caps….. not a 1uf. So I used all 1nf box caps…….. shit

So I had to desolate those. Don’t think I lifted a pad or anything…. I hope….. Got the right caps replaced.

Then I soldered a pot facing the wrong way. Desoldered that and screwed up a pad for pin one. Got it back in and followed the trace so I could route pin one of the mix pot to the correct place (Rate pin two) So that was wired up and fixed.

I finish the rest and get it wired up to test.
Everything works (modulation etc)except there is only one repeat. One delay. The last time this happened was deep blue delay. I didn’t have a 22nf populated yet.

One thing I noticed, if I wire between lug three of time and repeat it will give me some delay repeats. The delay can be adjusted a bit but it’s not right (wired not soldered for testing). It will oscillate easily… etc. Then I fooled around trying to trace my way around looking for the problem. But it’s way over my head. I’ll attach some pics. Again everything works expect I only get one repeat. Pleeeaseeeeeee help.Sorry that was long winded! 65CC6053-D9CC-4DFE-8FCA-4A28C3C98C49.jpeg

7670C2D8-B339-47CA-A206-70A4169407FE.jpeg

AF7D44C9-D5A8-437E-B5C7-68980E3C92A2.jpeg D98F7162-8961-4441-B11A-B51F0C44B03F.png

Last edited:
Hey guys. This has been a rough build. My first mistake was rushing and assuming. I though all the 1u capacitors were actually 1nf box caps. It just didn’t register that it wound be 1uf ceramic. The space allowed looked perfect for 1nf film caps….. not a 1uf. So I used all 1nf box caps…….. shit

So I had to desolate those. Don’t think I lifted a pad or anything…. I hope….. Got the right caps replaced.

Then I soldered a pot facing the wrong way. Desoldered that and screwed up a pad for pin one. Got it back in and followed the trace so I could route pin one of the mix pot to the correct place (Rate pin two) So that was wired up and fixed.

I finish the rest and get it wired up to test.
Everything works (modulation etc)except there is only one repeat. One delay. The last time this happened was deep blue delay. I didn’t have a 22nf populated yet.

One thing I noticed, if I wire between lug three of time and repeat it will give me some delay repeats. The delay can be adjusted a bit but it’s not right (wired not soldered for testing). It will oscillate easily… etc. Then I fooled around trying to trace my way around looking for the problem. But it’s way over my head. I’ll attach some pics. Again everything works expect I only get one repeat. Pleeeaseeeeeee help.Sorry that was long winded!

View attachment 19252
I'm seeing Depth 2 to Mix 1 repaired, Is that the trace you damaged???

I'm seeing Depth 2 to Mix 1 repaired, Is that the trace you damaged???
Oh I think you are right. I’m getting confused as they aren’t labeled. Yes, I damaged the pad on mix 1. So I jumped between those two points.

I wish I understood the part of the schematic that controls repeats. Deep blue delay was easy. Just one 22nf cap went from one repeat to full function.

Last edited:
Which part do you find confusing? Maybe I can help shed some light!
Well. I’m just not used to such large schematics all broken up into sections. Once you pointed me in the right direction though I was all set. I found there was no continuity between C10 (1U) and R10 (1k) …. I reflowed the solder but that didn’t work. So I ran a wire from the right side of C10 up to the 1k and voila! Feedback loop complete!! I’m a little bummed that I didn’t figure out what was causing the issue. But hey at least it works. Does it matter what side of the resistor I soldered too? I would t think so. It sounds awesome! Thanks :)

P.s im guessing I screwed up a pad desoldering the 1u. That’s all I can think of. Thanks again!

Back