DC jack wrong diameter

Is your DC jack too small or too big? More importantly, are the two incoming terminals on it isolated from your enclosure? If the jack has isolated terminals and is smaller than the hole, you can probably use a washer to get it to fit. If your DC jack is bigger than the hole and has isolated terminals, you could use a drill and make the hole big enough to hold the jack (so long as it still fits between you in and out jacks.

The reason you need the isolated terminals is because guitar pedals have the + terminal on the outside part of the tip, and that connection has to be isolated from the enclosure because your enclosure connects to ground through multiple contact points.

I've used those DC jacks before and they are fine, but it might be a very tight fit at the top of the enclosure. If you have enough room for the DC jack there, you can use a file to make the hole bigger. Getting the right-size DC jack is the easiest solution IF you already are going to be putting together another parts order and you are patient enough to wait for it.

Here is the link to the smaller footprint DC jack.

I purchased this one and it is too big: https://www.taydaelectronics.com/ha...ack-2-1mm-enclosed-frame-with-switch-red.html

I don't have a drill but if there is another way to ream the hole it could work
They are bigger, but they feel more secure than the smaller ones from Tayda (which I use but are a bit cheap feeling sometimes). In some 6 pots build, I had to clip the 3rd pin (the "insertion pin", typically used to connect a battery) to make it fit.
You can ream it with a small file, just take your time to keep the hole round. But a step drill bit is much easier.

Thanks all. Gonna see if I can find a file otherwise I'll order a new part, I plan on making another pedal so more parts are coming anyway

Reactions: fig
You don't even have to go all-out — in a pinch I've successfully enlarged a hole with a bottom-of-the-barrel bargain file. Plus they're handy to have around anyway.

Back