Dead End FX Laika - Almost there, can't find the problem

PangeaDestructor

This one is driving me crazy. Pics attached, I ripped off a few solder pads and traces in spots, but I'm pretty confident I repaired them and got them connected (see D3 to Q3 for example). Plugging in the pedal, I get the sound of a naked cable touching metal, loud low buzzing so I want to say I have a ground short somewhere, but I can't find it. This happens in bypass or when engaged, although the signal control does change the volume of the buzzing when engaged. The voltages are pretty close to those in the build doc, though Q4 is maxing out around 5.66. One thing I do not understand is the Trimpot 3 adjustments, the instructions say to set it at 22k but I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly how to do that, am I supposed to check ohms on legs 2 & 3, flip the board and adjust, then check the ohms again? Looking at the location and function, this could possibly be part of the problem.

Been trying to audio probe the circuit, and I've made my way up to C15 and C16 where I get a sudden, large loss of volume following pretty massive fuzzy output from Q4. Reflowed both, double checked the values, it does look like maybe I melted one side of C16, but it seems like that shouldn't cause a volume drop at C15? Range and Calibrate pots have voltage and sound. Lower voltage and sound at the Scan pot, and no voltage or sound at the Signal pot at all.

I don't see any shorts at the switches, looking under a magnifying glass.

Build doc: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t9UkjtPVxwSyIMK1RBP7tvHhX9SKaRui/view

Edit: I replaced C16, which hasn't fixed anything.
Double Edit: Q8 is backwards, but I triple-checked the pinout and followed the datasheet. If there's a way to determine whether that specifically is the problem, please lmk.

Attachments

• IMG_2295.jpg
    IMG_2295.jpg
    604.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2296.jpg
    IMG_2296.jpg
    582.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
This one is driving me crazy. Pics attached, I ripped off a few solder pads and traces in spots, but I'm pretty confident I repaired them and got them connected (see D3 to Q3 for example). Plugging in the pedal, I get the sound of a naked cable touching metal, loud low buzzing so I want to say I have a ground short somewhere, but I can't find it. This happens in bypass or when engaged, although the signal control does change the volume of the buzzing when engaged. The voltages are pretty close to those in the build doc, though Q4 is maxing out around 5.66. One thing I do not understand is the Trimpot 3 adjustments, the instructions say to set it at 22k but I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly how to do that, am I supposed to check ohms on legs 2 & 3, flip the board and adjust, then check the ohms again? Looking at the location and function, this could possibly be part of the problem.

Been trying to audio probe the circuit, and I've made my way up to C15 and C16 where I get a sudden, large loss of volume following pretty massive fuzzy output from Q4. Reflowed both, double checked the values, it does look like maybe I melted one side of C16, but it seems like that shouldn't cause a volume drop at C15? Range and Calibrate pots have voltage and sound. Lower voltage and sound at the Scan pot, and no voltage or sound at the Signal pot at all.

I don't see any shorts at the switches, looking under a magnifying glass.

Build doc: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t9UkjtPVxwSyIMK1RBP7tvHhX9SKaRui/view

Edit: I replaced C16, which hasn't fixed anything.
Double Edit: Q8 is backwards, but I triple-checked the pinout and followed the datasheet. If there's a way to determine whether that specifically is the problem, please lmk.
Check: Some Ge Diodes also have the Ring marking on the Anode end, not the Cathode end!

Back