Deflector Reverb

bhcarpenter

First of all, huge thanks to the PPCB crew for making something like this possible as a DIY project! I took one listen and promptly stuck Velcro on the back of it.

The artwork background is a stock image. My printer crapped out while printing the waterslide decal, resulting in lots of speckling, which I actually love. Happy accidents for the win.

The build went together easily. The way I solder FV-1s is to tack two pins to hold it in place, and then flood all of the pins with solder (don’t worry if they bridge together). Then I take a pass with the FR-301 to suck away the excess. At some point I should probably just learn how to drag solder, but this method seems to work well for now.

I couldn’t find the knobs documented anywhere, but here’s my best guess at what they control:
- Duration - Reverb dwell time
- Disperse - Not sure. Sounds like it controls the reflections build up?
- Diminish - Sounds like damping of the highs
- Density - Controls the clock speed of the FV-1. CCW is slower, allowing the reflections to spread apart and become individually distinguishable. CW is faster.
- Deflect - Reverb feedback
- Mix - self explanatory

When getting familiar with the pedal I found it helpful to start with Density all the way up and Deflect all the way down. Then the rest of the knobs can start at noon. I recommend learning how Duration, Disperse, and Diminish interact first before tweaking Density and Deflect. There are tons of great sounds in this thing.

Attachments

• 147F2E5B-A296-4A4C-B745-AD2836EFD5A7.jpeg
    147F2E5B-A296-4A4C-B745-AD2836EFD5A7.jpeg
    390.9 KB · Views: 45
  • A2C01EA5-EF77-4290-A7B5-C2C5A0EAAF64.jpeg
    A2C01EA5-EF77-4290-A7B5-C2C5A0EAAF64.jpeg
    345.9 KB · Views: 46
Nice job!

I built two of these a few months ago, but not boxed 'em yet. This circuit hits way above its class for its size. The algorithm takes advantage of the "stereo" aspect off the FV-1 by feeding one channel into the other for further processing. (The Deflect control is the one that determines how much of the first FV-1 channel is fed into the second channel.) The range of verbs with this circuit seems countless.

I tend to think of Disperse as the number & strength of reflections, widening or narrowing the the reflection sources. Somewhat akin to 'Depth'. (IMO)

This circuit hits way above its class for its size.
It really does!
(The Deflect control is the one that determines how much of the first FV-1 channel is fed into the second channel.)
Ah ok that makes sense. I’m going to have to play with this one some more.
I tend to think of Disperse as the number & strength of reflections, widening or narrowing the the reflection sources. Somewhat akin to 'Depth'. (IMO)
👍 Thanks!

Back