SOLVED Deofol : how is it supposed to sound ?

Bruce Feuillette

Hi!
I've played a bit with my Deofol, but I'm a bit disappointed by the sound.
It's really full of bass and dark. Way far from the OKKO Diablo+ video on YouTube.
Playing with Feed and Body only add basses to the sound. So I mainly add to cut both and put the gain to the max to achieve a clearer sound.
The only moment it sounded really great was when something went wrong and the whistle came in. They where more treble in it and it was really great.
I've redone some solder joints. So the whistle is gone and the dark sound is back. New parts are on their way (new capacitors).
This leads me to thing that something is wrong somewhere.
As the sound is subjective and can be understood differently, is there some information that I can grab to certified that all is fine and where in the circuit?
I have an oscilloscope (DSO138 clone).

For images of the build : https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/deofol-overdrive-low-volume-boost.6115/post-50888
The capacitor have been swapped. I'm aiming to replace them.

Hi!
I took some minutes to record the sound I have.
All the knobs are in the middle, then each one is moved to the min, then to the max.
It's a Jackson with the bridge humbucker, on the Deofol, then on an AudioBox USB 96. I have just added a Ampire's cabinet to have a more "live" sound, but nothing else has been touched.
As you can hear, there's a lot of bass. Looks like most of the treble has vanished. The only things the potentiometer are doing is to go from bass to more bass.

And to be more precise, here is a snippet of the sound, it seems to me, the Deofol should be able to reproduce, in terms of "clarity".

Last edited:
I've made more tests this morning and I will continue further.
I used a white noise generator with frequencies from 20Hz to 22Khz. I tried different variations with the parameters : body, feed, tone and gain mainly. Here's the results.
Gain is at 0 everytime. All knobs at 50% if not written.
Except when the Feed is at 0, I loose a lot of frequencies above 1Khz, as you can see. Hence the lost of "clarity" and the "bassy" feeling.
And as the Feed part is at the really beginning of the circuit...
1619940791791.png
I'll look if C1 is in good shape as I had to swap C15 and C17. Maybe it suffers from the soldering operation.

Ok, it's solved, the PCB is dead. The C1 capacitor was really quickly unsoldered and the soldering chips were gone too.
It's the same for the C14 capacitor. 3 chips dead on 6. I don't have the patience (and the luck) to make jumpers at this point.
I'm just fed up and disgusted.

Back