DEMO Desolate Fuzz (Unpleasant Surprise)

This post contains an audio or video demo

DGWVI

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
So, interestingly enough, I actually built this not knowing what it was. I'm guessing it's been a while since I bought it, Just saw that it used three discrete transistors, an Op-amp, and three toggleyboiz, so said what the heck.

Anyway, super simple build. Went together great, and fired right up.

And, this thing fucking rips.  HUGE range of tones and textures to be had with the various toggle and Onset combos- it can do big n spongy up to zappy mosquito octaves, and a ton of timbres in between. Definitely honeymooning this one, I'll try to get a demo up tomorrow though

Edit: can't stop rocking this thing, so figured I'd record some noodling for you heathens -

3b0822aa-c374-40c0-adbe-256a24f44797photo.jpeg 736cd20b-9a33-430f-836d-f1ac6f8ed639photo.jpeg

Last edited:
Did you measure the jfets before installing them? From reading reports it seems to do best when they're within a certain range (maybe it's listed in the build documents). I almost ordered this in my last order but took it out so as to not overwhelm myself with unfinished projects! Will definitely get it next time around though.

Did you measure the jfets before installing them? From reading reports it seems to do best when they're within a certain range (maybe it's listed in the build documents). I almost ordered this in my last order but took it out so as to not overwhelm myself with unfinished projects! Will definitely get it next time around though.
I'll be in the cold hard ground before I measure a semi-conductor prior to installation 😬

But, no - I just grabbed a couple of the MMBFJ201 boards I populated a while back, and they seem to be doing what they need to. Guess I got lucky?

I'll be in the cold hard ground before I measure a semi-conductor prior to installation 😬

But, no - I just grabbed a couple of the MMBFJ201 boards I populated a while back, and they seem to be doing what they need to. Guess I got lucky?
Yea, because that's what I would've done too.

Yea, because that's what I would've done too.
I'd think it'd be less of an issue with the SMD parts- those seem to have much tighter tolerances than their through-hole counterparts.
And, while I haven't built a ton of circuits using J201s, I've yet to run into a single issue using the SMD variant

Reactions: fig
When did the name change from calamity to desolate? Many of my favorite circuits have jfets and I don't mind soldering in the smd ones as long as I don't lose them in the process. Fairfield uses jfets in a bunch of their stuff and they likely pick the best ones depending on the circuit. Wouldn't mind seeing more of their stuff on here since they never seem to disappoint.

Did this one up not long ago. Bought the board as a total blind, why not?, purchase and was like you guys, just blown away by myriad of tones coming out of it. It’s not a permanent fixture on my board, but makes it into rotation on the regular

So, interestingly enough, I actually built this not knowing what it was. I'm guessing it's been a while since I bought it, Just saw that it used three discrete transistors, an Op-amp, and three toggleyboiz, so said what the heck.

And, this thing fucking rips.  HUGE range of tones and textures to be had with the various toggle and Onset combos- it can do big n spongy up to zappy mosquito octaves, and a ton of timbres in between. Definitely honeymooning this one, I'll try to get a demo up tomorrow though

Edit: can't stop rocking this thing, so figured I'd record some noodling for you heathens -

View attachment 48321View attachment 48322
200w.gif

View attachment 48321View attachment 48322
The pedal in the photos...

1683773574462.png

and the pedal in the demo...
1683773604508.png

Are not the same pedal...

When did the name change from calamity to desolate? Many of my favorite circuits have jfets and I don't mind soldering in the smd ones as long as I don't lose them in the process. Fairfield uses jfets in a bunch of their stuff and they likely pick the best ones depending on the circuit. Wouldn't mind seeing more of their stuff on here since they never seem to disappoint.
This is only my second Fairfield circuit, but given how much I adore the Low Tide / Shallow Water, and now this, I'm definitely gonna be building the rest as they become available

Great demo! I built one too, and it's a great one.

Just got a DOD Carcosa, out of curiosity, I thought it was going to replace this one on my pedalboard, but it seems that nope. The Carcosa is very good and offers a lot of possibilities, so I'll keep it and explore as well, but this one is just one of the greatest fuzz pedals I ever got/built.

Those Fairfield circuits are really great, right.

Back