Distortion 250

geoffrey

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
So I bought a Drivestortion board from Effects Layouts just for giggles, as it had clear instructions for different builds for this circuit (from DOD '77 Grey 250, to MXR Distortion +, all the way to a DOD YJM308). Since the MXR D+ was used by a couple of my heroes (Jerry Garcia and Bob Mould) I wanted this version.

So being the novice that I am, I absolutely destroyed this simple board (don't even want to get into it) and I had the yellow 1590b drilled and ready to go. Total bummer.

So to make lemonade out of lemons, I wondered if PedalPCB could save the day: would the Distortion 250 fit my already drilled 1590b set up for the Drivstortion? By golly, it sure did!

This is the first time I've tried to wire and fit a PPCB board into something other than it's standard 125B, top mount setup, so I was eager to see if I was up to the task and was able to make it work out.

Feel free to critique my gut shot and wiring. Had to go with the low-profile Lumberg's to make it work. Not really pleased with how I did the LED, but it works. Keep in mind this was kind of learning experience for me and I didn't get all OCD with the wiring: just wanted to get up and running ASAP. The Tyda yellow is a bit off, but was definitely going for the classic MXR look. Also, if you don't have that knob setter pictured, it's amazing. Got mine at Lovemyswitches.com. Great people there!
IMG_8514.jpg

IMG_8516.jpg

The Drivestortion build doc said to go with a UA741CP, and it clearly appeared to me that the dude at Effects Layouts was going for authenticity here so I went with it over the LM741. Any real difference here? And is one more "authentic" than the other? I'm sure someone here would happily opine on that.

Anyway, it sounds super, super, rad...have been pretending to be Jerry and Bob all morning (have the day off). Thanks for reading and in advance for any comments! ! have a good 15 builds under my belt now, couldn't have done it without this forum!

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/bob-mould-pedalboard did you see this Bob Mould pedalboard article? Guess he dropped the MXR D+ but you know, I’m after that Hüsker Dü tone anyway ☺️
Thanks for sharing this! I didn't know this, but I'm not surprised, considering how his sound (and probably pedal evolution) progressed. But, yea, I should have referenced the Hüsker Dü Bob Mould...that's the sound I'm referring to. Great post!

So I bought a Drivestortion board from Effects Layouts just for giggles, as it had clear instructions for different builds for this circuit (from DOD '77 Grey 250, to MXR Distortion +, all the way to a DOD YJM308). Since the MXR D+ was used by a couple of my heroes (Jerry Garcia and Bob Mould) I wanted this version.

So being the novice that I am, I absolutely destroyed this simple board (don't even want to get into it) and I had the yellow 1590b drilled and ready to go. Total bummer.

So to make lemonade out of lemons, I wondered if PedalPCB could save the day: would the Distortion 250 fit my already drilled 1590b set up for the Drivstortion? By golly, it sure did!

This is the first time I've tried to wire and fit a PPCB board into something other than it's standard 125B, top mount setup, so I was eager to see if I was up to the task and was able to make it work out.

Feel free to critique my gut shot and wiring. Had to go with the low-profile Lumberg's to make it work. Not really pleased with how I did the LED, but it works. Keep in mind this was kind of learning experience for me and I didn't get all OCD with the wiring: just wanted to get up and running ASAP. The Tyda yellow is a bit off, but was definitely going for the classic MXR look. Also, if you don't have that knob setter pictured, it's amazing. Got mine at Lovemyswitches.com. Great people there!
View attachment 40342

View attachment 40343

The Drivestortion build doc said to go with a UA741CP, and it clearly appeared to me that the dude at Effects Layouts was going for authenticity here so I went with it over the LM741. Any real difference here? And is one more "authentic" than the other? I'm sure someone here would happily opine on that.

Anyway, it sounds super, super, rad...have been pretending to be Jerry and Bob all morning (have the day off). Thanks for reading and in advance for any comments! ! have a good 15 builds under my belt now, couldn't have done it without this forum!

There is certainly no audible difference between a UA741 and an LM741.

Personally, I have never done nor heard a test of swapping op amps that produced an audible difference.

That said, I generally stick with the BOM on a particular build unless it’s some ancient, hard to find part.

Back