DS-1

Bump for this! It would be fun to have options for building stock and some of the common mods. I imagine Mr. @PedalPCB probably has one lying around, but here are some gut shots from mine. Early 2000s I believe. First pedal I ever bought.

Attachments

• D517E497-525F-4BE4-8D7C-DC7FBA083734.jpeg
    D517E497-525F-4BE4-8D7C-DC7FBA083734.jpeg
    570.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 6703D69C-FA7A-4776-83E5-A9AEFCEE8057.jpeg
    6703D69C-FA7A-4776-83E5-A9AEFCEE8057.jpeg
    577.7 KB · Views: 24
Most of the common mods are component value changes. The Keeley mods involve switching different clipping diodes in 'n' out. Half of the parts on the Boss board are for soft switching. It should be easy to make a mod-able DS-1 clone, minus the soft switching.

BTW, the Defouler is very, very close to a DS-1. The DISTORTION control is wired a little differently, and it uses opamp buffers instead of transistors, but the rest is a carbon-copy.

I have an Analogman modded one which sounds killer. I do feel like the mod reduced output a little bit though. The pedal was not working properly before I got it modded though so all good (I bought it used in the 90s).

I've got one from the early 2000's that I think I've used once, maybe. Got it for free when I bought my very first bass and hated it, so it's just been kicking around in a drawer for close to 20 years. I just pulled it out to take a look at it and it had a 20 year old battery in it 😬 Had to cut it out.

I have an Analogman modded one which sounds killer. I do feel like the mod reduced output a little bit though. The pedal was not working properly before I got it modded though so all good (I bought it used in the 90s).
Any idea what the AnalogMan mod entails?

I think every modder has come up with some mod or variation to someone else's mod for this pedal. Got mine at a garage sale for $5; it had a busted TONE pot. Fixed that and then put in the CB mod.

Any idea what the AnalogMan mod entails?

I think every modder has come up with some mod or variation to someone else's mod for this pedal. Got mine at a garage sale for $5; it had a busted TONE pot. Fixed that and then put in the CB mod.
I can’t remember exactly, they explain some of it on the site. They definitely add asymmetrical clipping that can be switched via push-pull pot and makes it sound a bit more like a TS. Not sure what other components were replaced.

DS-1 was one of my favorites to do mods on! Heck you can just cut the diodes out it makes a nice little gritty boost

Reactions: fig
If anyone is interested in etching, I worked out PCB layouts for the original MIJ version, as well as the post-1994 version. Both have the buffer/bypass section omitted.
I have not fully verified or tested the layouts (because haven’t gotten around to actually BUILDING them yet), but the MIT post-‘94 one was rev-engineered from my own pedal and the original MIJ one was created using the layout in the Boss DS-1 service manual. I can put them in high-res PDFs.
I still think it would be awesome to have a ready-to-build PedalPCB board available; it’s just that there some folks that still etch their own.

Which opamp do we want, SIL or DIL? .. and which version of the circuit? Single or dual opamp (pre/post 94)?

Which opamp do we want, SIL or DIL? .. and which version of the circuit? Single or dual opamp (pre/post 94)?
I’d say SIL pre-94, just because SIL is fun and “SILly”, and pre-94 because if you call it a ‘vintage-spec’ DS1 PCB more people will be interested in it than if it’s a ‘modern’ one

Back