DEMO DUMESDAY DEVICE (An itty-bitty Star Wars fuzz)

This post contains an audio or video demo

Bricksnbeatles

Member known well
Build Rating
3.00 star(s)
A quick build from Saturday night— except the enclosure was done up a full 13 months ago, and I just didn’t actually build it until this weekend.

A Meathead Dark built on a DelykPCB LB-fuzz PCB… well, sort of— when you build a silicon fuzz face with the fuzz permanently maxed (which itself is prettty much the same as a colorsound fuzz box) any minute changes effectively give you liberty to claim it as something new.
Anyway, I started with a 2n3904 & BC184 pairing, which I liked enough, but it didn’t clean up well and I just thought it would be fun to audition a few different transistor pairings— would up trying a few different pairings, with my top 5 favorites all having a PN2222 in q1.

In the end I would up with a 209hFe PN2222 in q1, and an 876hFe 2n5089 in the q2 position with the collector and emitter swapped around. Has a really fuzzy, aggressive character without being too compressed or gated, with a fantastic S/N ratio. Cleans up absolutely wonderfully, which is always fun.

For those of you who may not be familiar with the animated Star Wars shows, the pedal is named after the character Kanan Jarrus/Caleb Dume, and features a graphic I designed based off a combination of the eye-like symbols on his face covering after he’s blinded, and the three-pronged marking on the head of the Loth-wolf that he’s tied to through the force. The font is of course inspired by DOOM, since it’s a pun, y’know?

The led light plate isn’t as bright as I’d like, so I’m going to go back and rewire the LEDs to be brighter and also make sure they are paired with the acrylic for better transmission of the light. Might need different LEDs altogether. Gut shots coming when I open it back up to fix the LED issue (forgot to take pics, whoops!)

As you can see, the light is only really visible in pitch black (first pic is regular exposure, second is 3 second exposure time)

Dumesday device you say? You can never have too many. That’n there’s a beaut! :love:
Your chosen gain values seem to align with other’s preferred results (from what little I’ve read). (y)

Here’s a quick little demo I put together of the dumesday device. A bit different sounding from irl since fuzz doesn’t interact with an audio interface and virtual amps the same way it does with a real amp, but you get the idea… quite a different fuzz tone from a typical one knob fuzz or fuzzface.
The cleans are all just from volume knob roll-back— all tracks are the same exact guitar, same virtual amp settings, and same interface input level- only variable is neck or bridge pickup, and the guitar’s volume knob.
the arrangement sounds like ass and the timing is terrible, but it’s supposed to be like that lol— that just makes it browner!

Here’s a quick little demo I put together of the dumesday device. A bit different sounding from irl since fuzz doesn’t interact with an audio interface and virtual amps the same way it does with a real amp, but you get the idea… quite a different fuzz tone from a typical one knob fuzz or fuzzface.
The cleans are all just from volume knob roll-back— all tracks are the same exact guitar, same virtual amp settings, and same interface input level- only variable is neck or bridge pickup, and the guitar’s volume knob.
the arrangement sounds like ass and the timing is terrible, but it’s supposed to be like that lol— that just makes it browner!
Love it! For some reason I keep thinking of the name "Poopship Troopers"........:p

I'm a little lysdexic, I read that as "Troopship Poopers".

L♥️ved the dem❤️, Bricksnbeatles. The juxtaposition of the musical style with the bombastic-fantastic fuzz tones, the off-kilter timing — change one ingredient and it wouldn't have sounded so good. Mm Mm G🧡💜D!

Back