El Sol/Acapulco Gold - Gain pot mod?

D1chotomy

Has anyone built this one yet? I'm currently working on it but see other places talk about adding a gain contol. And thoughts on how that could be achieved using the El Sol PCB?

The Pre-Gain pot is basically an input volume control.

Lug 3 to 3PDT In pad/lug (the pad/lug that normally connects to the In pad of the effect PCB)
Lug 2 to PCB Input pad
Lug 1 to Ground

The Pre-Gain pot is basically an input volume control.

Lug 3 to 3PDT In pad/lug (the pad/lug that normally connects to the In pad of the effect PCB)
Lug 2 to PCB Input pad
Lug 1 to Ground
Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply! Also, since no build docs yet, D1, is it a 5817 or a 5818?

So this thing turned out amazing. Loud as hell and super fun to play. Thanks everyone for helping me with the pregain control. My wife is learning how to etch by using her Cricut machine to create a stencil. Here's how this one turned out.

Attachments

• AG1.png
    AG1.png
    995.6 KB · Views: 22
  • AG2.jpg
    AG2.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 22
curious - I'm out of 1uF electrolytics at the moment. Would a monolithic ceramic work in its place, or should I really order more? (Example)
Yes, you could use monolithics, but I'm not sure how they'll sound (better? worse? I've never tried).
You could also run two 470n parallel to each other, orient the negative strip of the twin the same as its sibling as per the schematic. You'd be close enough at 940nF to 1uF. Socket the PCB and you can use the monolithics until you get some electrolytics and then compare the sound, see which you prefer.

I'm using FILM caps in my AG, bumped to 2u2 — BASS!

So this thing turned out amazing. Loud as hell and super fun to play. Thanks everyone for helping me with the pregain control. My wife is learning how to etch by using her Cricut machine to create a stencil. Here's how this one turned out.
Looks great!

Do you have any shots of the inside wiring? I’m thinking about trying to build one with mods as well. Thanks!

Back