El Sol Distortion + SHO Combo build - Updated

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Well, back to building overdrives hahahah......

After the exhilaration and roller coaster of building the Tourbus, then the Jazzmaster makeover, then the SUAPYG Demo, I needed something easy to get my soldering and bench time fix in.

A while back my man @swelchy sent me a gift bag of goodies and in it was a RullyWow FO SHO booster kit. Not just the board but he sent the whole kit with all the parts! It's the tiniest board I've ever seen, not much larger than the back of pot. I knew I had to put this in a combo build and have been keeping an eye out for something suitable. Well, that "something" turned out to be the El Sol Distortion board I got in my last PPCB order. It too is a tiny board so I decided to build a combo pedal in a 1590B.

I've always liked how the Acapulco Gold pedal sounded in the demo's and particularly how it reacts to the guitar's volume knob. So I was assuming putting a dedicated boost in front of it would give me some cool tonal options. Even though the El Sol is called a "Distortion" I find that it really leans more towards a fuzz.
It's a pretty cool and gnarly sounding pedal. Amazing that it's got so few components. Adding the boost lets me push it into much deeper saturation.

In order to make it all fit into a 1590B I had to make some sacrifices to my OCD'ness of liking straight lines, orderly wiring etc. So the gut shot is a bit out of character for me but it all works.

I also used one of my "enclosure painting" experiments which unfortunately did not turn out well.
It was all fine until the very end and I went to wipe off some smudge with IPA and f'd up the gloss coat. I'm really about ready to throw out this can of gloss paint.
I've had a lot of problems with it and I think it's just this particular brand of rattle can. It seems like it just never completely cures.

Anyway, this was a bare enclosure that I painted with just gray primer and two coats of gloss over it. It's been sitting for at least a week. You'd think it would have cured by now, sheesh. But it was still slightly tacky and wiping it with alcohol messed it up.

I'm not planning to do anything about it at this point, but lesson learned. Just buy the dang power coated enclosures from Tayda.....heh.

Still it was a nice bit of Saturday afternoon fun after grooming the dog....(took 3 of use to hold her still....she's a wiggly little thing)

This is how the enclosure started out....

IMG_3487.JPG

And this is how it ended up after wiping it with a little IPA.....sigh.....
IMG_3489.JPG

Busy bit of wiring. But necessary to push the foot switches far enough apart in a 1590B.

IMG_3488.JPG

Big sounds from 2 tiny circuits.

That sho layout looks like it would drop right into a piece of perf board. I like how it mostly lays over the pot to save space.

Did you 3D print the dust covers?

Update:

@Fingolfen's recent build report on the El Sol got me thinking about my build, so I pulled it out and was immediately struck by how ugly the paint job was. So I decided to pulled it apart, strip and repaint it.

I used a new type of pretty fast drying rattle can paint in Gold. The gold looked "yellow" to me, so I decided to put a clear coat over it to make it pop a little. Probably could have used a couple more top coats but it is what it is, and I think it looks 100% better.

I'm finding that there's definitely a technique to how you spray some of these paints, especially the textured ones.

Gold for the.....y'know.....Acapulco thing.....:)

This thing is a great noise maker, especially with the boost on. Not my favorite pedal but still interesting.

IMG_3926.JPG

Back