El Sol mod for Bass

muffinscruffin

I made an El Sol for my bass player, and gave it the Gain mod, to try to make it a little more useable on his board.
It's still a little thin sounding, like it needs some more bass presence/resonance. I was wondering if I could change a capacitor value to allow for more of that full bass, that it gets from guitars but seems to kind of clip off from the bass.

Is there a cap value I can increase to do this, and if so, which one? I'm also thinking a "blend" mod would be great for this circuit, but don't think there'd be room in the box for it.

(FWIW, it is first in his pedal chain order)

Thanks!

Sorry, only kind of an answer, but I highly recommend checking out the datasheet for the lm386. Specifically section 9.2.1.2. It details how to get around 6 dB of bass boost with a super simple RC link between pins 1 and 5!

What size potentiometer did you use for the gain control? If it's at the front of the circuit, higher values will keep more frequencies in the signal, instead of passing them off to ground..

Last edited:
Thank you Sturdag, I've never delved too deeply into the datasheet, but I will now! I've seen cap mods for bass on other pedals but haven't been too confident about trying to transpose those into this circuit. Having it on the datasheet plain and simple will make it easy hopefully.
Used a 1M for gain, right before the board.

Back