El Sol -> The Ecstasy of Gold

uranium_jones

This is a dirt simple circuit and Acapulco Golds aren't in short supply so this was mainly an opportunity to practice different fabrication methods apart from the board soldering. For the graphic design, I took some inspiration from the earlier Acapulco Gold that had the gunslinger graphic. I only finally got around to watching The Good, The Bad and The Ugly this year. It's immediately become one of my favorites. The character of Tuco is just perfect, so I present the Ecstasy of Gold.

face.jpg

....which I just see that I misspelled. Right now. As I type this. Oh well, I guess that guarantees that this one is not going out in the wild. Or Maybe I will just remove the hardware and re-do the label. Yeah, that might work...

Things I tried out this time:
1) I sanded the bare aluminum enclosure with 600-grit wet sandpaper
2) I tried a toner transfer so I could try chemical etching. Unfortunately, this failed on three different attempts because too much of the gloss paper coating was getting stuck to the enclosure, rather than just the toner areas.
3) I used a waterslide decal in combination with different colors of spray paint
4) I incorporated a gritty halftone pattern to let more of the gold paint come through while keeping the text legible.
5) I let the graphic design dictate the component placement rather than the other way around.
6) I tried my hand at the trendy anal retentive wiring style inside. I kind of like the simplicity of it , although I definitely need more practice.

guts.jpg

This was also my very first enclosure where I got to use my new drill press! This project made sure I got the process down from the center punch (I vastly prefer a spring-loaded automatic) to the actual drilling (1/16" pilot and either metric or imperial stepper bits). After trying the technique on the next enclosure, I can see that this was the key to perfect hole placement.

I did a quick sound test last night and it sounds awesome. Towards the 3-o'clock position and higher, something was definitely saturating and the tonal character completely changed and got a ton more low end. Not in a horrible way, but definitely in a way that didn't match the rest of the progression of the pot travel.

I love it! Misspelling and all Mr. Jones.

Keeping that input wire off to itself is crucial in this circuit. Those twin 386s are powerful beasts.

Also, great movie. I think I saw it at the drive-n when it came out.

What a great movie, and great enclosure design! Tuco is the man. So many great quotes:

"If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?"

"There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend: Those with a rope around the neck, and the people who have the job of doing the cutting."

Misspelling or not I think it looks great. And like a missed note when playing live, it might sting when you do it, but if you just keep on playing like nothing happened almost no one else will ever notice.

Oh shoot, I nearly forgot to talk about the easter egg. To fit with the theme, I sanded the aluminum in an "X" pattern. So, in the portrait area, the background is made of a million little double-crosses.

Awesome looking pedal! Great idea!
Do you get radio interferences with this circuit? I made this pedal with another pcb (not from pedalpcb) and I got interferences while not playing...

Killer Build!

Big Morricone fan, and all that is associated with his music.

Any way for you to fix just the "S"?

Wouldn't worry about it too much, though, it looks great and would be a shame to mess up the artwork that's already done.

South China Morning Post (which brags about its 100+year heritage of being Asia's leading English-language newspaper) put something like the following across the top of the front page way back in 1997/8:
"WAR BREAKS OUT IN KOVOSO" 😹

Can't remember the exact headline, but for sure SCMP's powers-that-be fired somebody the next day — what with the army of copy-editors, subeditors and editors and the chief editor letting "Kovoso" still make it to the front page in a 64-point sans-serif. Lotsa loss of face!

Awesome looking pedal! Great idea!
Do you get radio interferences with this circuit? I made this pedal with another pcb (not from pedalpcb) and I got interferences while not playing...
Nope, nothing that I've noticed. But most of my time since then has been spent building rather than playing.

@Feral Feline thats a great anecdote! I will probably leave it as is and see if I can sell it cheap. I want to try the etching process again, because maybe fate didn't want me to etch a typo into metal. (I also found I have different glossy paper)

Back