Electric Druid FilterFX

SYLV9ST9R

Built this one for my friend Bone Setter Knives as part of an exchange where he gets a pedal and I get a cool handmade knife.
As he's also into DIY modular synths, and he was looking for a filter, we settled on Electric Druid's Filter FX.
I would have finished it a month ago, but you know...

B6A8446E-19A6-4A1D-9B6E-4171591870A9.JPG B62275EE-BDA2-4779-8CDC-071EDD21F848.JPG

From their docs:
The FilterFX project uses the Druid STOMPLFO to control a 12dB/oct state variable filter. A state variable filter (SVF) is chosen because this filter design offers highpass, bandpass, and lowpass outputs which gives us the greatest range of different effects. The LFO offers eight waveforms, including two random waveforms (one does those crazy sample-and-hold effects like the Maestro FSH-1).
It's really great on synths, and really usable as if you turn off the Depth knob, it's just a filter (LP, BP or LP) with 3 degrees of resonance, but then when you add the LFO and tap, you can get wild rhythmic effects. I added the Sync and Exp inputs as he'll use it with CV and drums, so these will be useful.

@thewintersoldier asked for a demo, so I did this quickie with a guitar loop I had, as I'm packing up as we're taking the week off for the kids March break.
Starting with the Low Pass with no modulation, then with modulation and different resonance levels, then same with Band Pass and finally High Pass.

Last edited:
I built one of these and it's great. I built a Spectron later and I find it even better, but there isn't any random waveshapes like in the Filter FX.
I remember once, i plugged a bass in it and some great bass kick appeared without doing anything, when i left the bass on a couch to take a break. Very inspiring and surprising effect.
Beautiful artwork !

Last edited:
@SYLV9ST9R how is the UV print on the bare enclosure? I know they claim it isn't as durable and comes off easier. What is your assessment on this?
To me it seems sturdy enough. Then again I don't gig or stomp aggressively on my pedals as I'm playing in my basement.
There are sometimes imperfections in the surface, so you have to live with those. If you're worried, I think full images with a gloss coat might fare better as it gives you a full even layer of protection (exemples here and there). I've been thinking about experimenting with some bleed of the gloss layers when it's not a full design for added protection, might do that on a coming build.
Also, I was able to scratch a bit off, as I stupidly did a mistake ("LB" instead of "LP", at least easily fixable), but I used an x-acto knife, so not you're typical use ;).
I did this VHS also for my friend who practice with his band and it holds great.
I'm more concerned about the matte black sand, as it's where I had 2 builds recently where perts of the design flaked off with normal handling (both didn't have gloss varnish on them though).

Last edited:
Back