EQD Tone job

Yes this would be nice. The cold turkey has a similar feature set, but bass, mid, & treb are all in one opamp stage, so there is bound to be a fair amount of interaction between bands. From what I’ve read the tone job has one stage of Baxandall (bass and treble) and a separate stage for the mids. So there won’t be the interaction and should offer more precise control.

I'm unfortunately bumping this very old thread to submit another request for an EQD Tone Job (sort of like a Westwood in terms of EQ filters, but the fourth pot is an active mids control rather than drive). (Surely I don't have to explain this to you fine folks, I realize after sending the comment)

Really I'd love to see PedalPCB's take on an EQ with Baxandall filters, whether that's a more specific Tone Job PCB clone, or the Bax filters from the Sherwood + the volume boost from the Cleaver...

In the meantime I'm in the process of combining PCB Mania's Hybrid EQ with a Cleaver circuit to approximate the clean volume + EQ from a Tone Job.

From what I’ve read the tone job has one stage of Baxandall (bass and treble) and a separate stage for the mids. So there won’t be the interaction and should offer more precise control.

There's really not a world of difference between them... the input buffer and (obviously) the boost stage isn't exactly the same, but the core baxandall EQ stage is the same aside from component values. It's a typical 3-band baxandall.

Ah thanks for clarifying, I don’t know why I was under the impression that the mids was on a separate stage.

Curious your opinion @PedalPCB, if making the mids a separate stage (for less interaction) would be a worthwhile project. Basically like the end of a Wampler drive pedal (example wrecktifier, slostortion). He always seems to separate the mids, and strikes me as a designer who doesn’t cut corners.

on the other hand maybe it’s over-engineering and the cold turkey / tone job way is just fine.

Curious your opinion @PedalPCB, if making the mids a separate stage (for less interaction) would be a worthwhile project. Basically like the end of a Wampler drive pedal (example wrecktifier, slostortion). He always seems to separate the mids, and strikes me as a designer who doesn’t cut corners.

on the other hand maybe it’s over-engineering and the cold turkey / tone job way is just fine.
You might want to take a look at the Malachite/Sanguine/Tyrion, which have Baxandall bass and treble into a separate mids stage.

You could probably just remove the clipping and reduce the overall gain on the Malachite and have something close to what you're looking for.

Back