Expectation: High/Low…

SillyOctpuss

Just finished a Crowther Hotcake / Awful Waffle. Pretty underwhelming. The note decay kind of sputters out in an unpleasant way and you lose a lot of high end with the gain up. Built one because one of my favorite guitarists uses it as his only drive pedal, but I’m just not feeling it!

What amp are you using the hotcake with? I've found it's particularly picky about what you use it with. Voxs, matchless, badcat etc seem to work well

blackhatboojum

I have two disappointing builds with higher expectations.

The little angle chorus. First, It was a royal pain to get working. Second, I tried 10 different pt2399’s before I found one that wouldn’t latch up on occasion. Third, it just doesn’t sound good. It’s very muffled sounding.

BYOC little echo. It only works as a slap back echo. The farting, motor boating, noise becomes too much at longer delay times.

Paradox916

I had high hopes for the Tyrian (Revv G3) but it just wasn’t very lively..it felt to overly muffled and compressed, the eq didn’t seem to really come alive till after 2 o’clock... but as of recently I decided to crack it back open and revisit my work as this was one of my first builds just to see if I didn’t do something right... which is a strong possibility so I’m not counting it out quite yet.

Mentaltossflycoon

I have two disappointing builds with higher expectations.

The little angle chorus. First, It was a royal pain to get working. Second, I tried 10 different pt2399’s before I found one that wouldn’t latch up on occasion. Third, it just doesn’t sound good. It’s very muffled sounding.

BYOC little echo. It only works as a slap back echo. The farting, motor boating, noise becomes too much at longer delay times.
BYOC little echo was the first delay I built. Don't want to speak ill because I like some of their stuff like the mfz-1 clone but, yeah skip the little echo. Filthy in the bad way.

SillyOctpuss

I had high hopes for the Tyrian (Revv G3) but it just wasn’t very lively..it felt to overly muffled and compressed, the eq didn’t seem to really come alive till after 2 o’clock... but as of recently I decided to crack it back open and revisit my work as this was one of my first builds just to see if I didn’t do something right... which is a strong possibility so I’m not counting it out quite yet.

I've been doing that too with some early builds. I've been fixing dodgy wiring, switching some parts which were the right value but either had some seriously dodgy soldering, hadn't been biased properly or the parts themselves weren't ideal. This started when I found a ROG Supreaux Deux in a drawer which I had forgotten about. I switched the (probably fake or out of spec) j201s for some smd versions, biased it properly and it sounds excellent now.

blackhatboojum

BYOC little echo was the first delay I built. Don't want to speak ill because I like some of their stuff like the mfz-1 clone but, yeah skip the little echo. Filthy in the bad way.
I don’t want to speak ill of BYOC either. Overall, I’ve read a lot of good things about their stuff. I tried researching the li’l echo before I bought the pcb but, I couldn’t find much about it or, any testimonials from other builders. Schematic wise, it looked mostly like a Rebote v2 delay which, seemed pretty popular so, I gave it a go. As I said, disappointing… and as you said, “filthy in the bad way.”

No the TI chips I used originally are definitely CD4049UBE but they're really noisy, fizzy and the circuit has no low end at all when I use those. Both of the Motorola MC14049UBCP I bought sound great and fixed thr issues I was having with the pedal.
I tried the Red Llama on breadboard using a CD4049UBE bought from Tayda. Nothing weird. It worked, I don't remember annoying noise (on breadboard!), not others issues: lacking of bass, fizzy sound... I tried to mod some caps, too, but in the end I think I'l builld like the original one. Actually my protoboard is already populated, I have to test it, and I to buy 9mm pots to fit it in a 1590A box.

mnemonic

I wasn’t super impressed by the Wrecktifier distortion, but I built that one right off the back of building the BE-OD clone, which is fantastic, so the Wrecktifier didn’t really stack up as well.

I also built the BBE sonic maximiser clone, but this was quite a while ago and at that time the pcb was missing out the 39k resistor that set the mid band of the state variable filter flat, so it was fixed at like -12 dB or something. Extremely scooped. I tacked on the resistor and then it functioned as it should, I just didn’t really find it useful at all.

Everything else I’ve built from ppcb has been tops. I certainly have a long list of tagboard failures though.

Feral Feline

Sorry, but... Short-cage derailleur is gonna skip gears for a moment.

There is a nasty pedal that is made for the "B" version of the 4049, I think it's called "Satan's Revenge" or something like that.
Typically, when 4000 series ICs are used to run audio signal through them, you want the "U" or unbuffered version of the IC.

There's that Buffered 4049 thing again, so WTH is going on — am I hallucinating? Does the 4049 Buffered really exist?

I'd been sure I'd seen it mentioned way back in the past for couple different builds (TTG Christine and Dwarfcraft Great Destroyer);
then I was told it was more unlikely than Unicorn Rainbow Farts.
So I didn't done did imagineered the whole enchilada after all?

@Chuck D. Bones What's up with this damn phantom chip?

I want the buffered...
... Christine and The Great Destroyer builds await.

danfrank

Here, these are buffered:

I bought 30 of them when they were $0.39 each. A week after, they raised the price to a whopping $0.75 each. Put one of these in a Red Llama or the like and prepare to plug your ears! Lol!
A 4050 will also act as a "buffered" 4049 in an audio circuit.

Chuck D. Bones

The Repro 1304 was meh until I modd'ed it.
I have tried and tried, but I can't manage to like the Roger Mayer Page-1.
Candy Apple Fuzz was horrible. At the time, I was laboring under the misapprehension that I'd love every Bjorn Juhl pedal.

Chuck D. Bones

Here, these are buffered:
I'm not so sure about that. Just because ON Semiconductor calls them a "buffer," which is a pretty generic term in the industry, doesn't mean that they are buffered internally. FYI, when a CMOS device (usually an inverter) is labeled "buffered," it means there are cascaded stages. The CD4050 will always be "buffered" because it takes an even number of stages to make a non-inverting gate.

Some manufacturers show us a schematic of what's inside; ON Semi does not. I'd have to test one to be sure one way or the other. Here's what's inside the TI devices. Each complementary pair of P & N devices inverts the signal.

CD4049 & CD4050 innards.png

The reason it's important to use an unbuffered device in an analog application is that only unbuffered devices can be biased into linear operation. The CD4050 is NOT interchangeable with a CD4049 no matter who makes it or what suffix is tacked onto the part number because the CD4049 inverts and the CD4050 does not.

jjjimi84

The Repro 1304 was meh until I modd'ed it.
I have tried and tried, but I can't manage to like the Roger Mayer Page-1.
Candy Apple Fuzz was horrible. At the time, I was laboring under the misapprehension that I'd love every Bjorn Juhl pedal.
@Chuck D. Bones fid you do a write up about the 1304 mods?

I bought the candy apple fuzz years ago and didn’t bond with it and years later when I built it, guess what? Still didn’t bond with it

Coda

I forgot to mention one: Rat Distortion. Built it because I always was a little curious, and I had LM308 contacts. When I started playing, I thought you had to decide in the first few weeks if you were gonna be on Team DS1 or Team Rat. I went with the former. Now with my Rat build, I realize that there are no teams. The Rat is a great pedal…fits me far better than the DS1, though the DS1 will always be on my board (buffer)…

SillyOctpuss

The Rat is a great pedal…fits me far better than the DS1, though the DS1 will always be on my board (buffer)…

Now the ds1 is a pedal I've never been able to make work for me. I've played modern reissues and an old japanese one that a friend of mine thinks is the best distortion he's ever played and it's all a bit m'eh. I even built one on Aion's board and it just wasn't for me. In the end I gave it to my friend who loves his old japanese one and it sounds great... When he plays it.

danfrank

I'm not so sure about that. Just because ON Semiconductor calls them a "buffer," which is a pretty generic term in the industry, doesn't mean that they are buffered internally. FYI, when a CMOS device (usually an inverter) is labeled "buffered," it means there are cascaded stages. The CD4050 will always be "buffered" because it takes an even number of stages to make a non-inverting gate.

Some manufacturers show us a schematic of what's inside; ON Semi does not. I'd have to test one to be sure one way or the other. Here's what's inside the TI devices. Each complementary pair of P & N devices inverts the signal.

View attachment 15727

The reason it's important to use an unbuffered device in an analog application is that only unbuffered devices can be biased into linear operation. The CD4050 is NOT interchangeable with a CD4049 no matter who makes it or what suffix is tacked onto the part number because the CD4049 inverts and the CD4050 does not.
Yes, you are correct about the CD4050 and its diagram. The "buffered" version of the 4049 has one more pair of P & N devices so it "inverts" like the unbuffered 4049. So one pair for the unbuffered 4049, 2 pair for the 4050 and 3 pair for the buffered 4049.
Again, they stopped making the buffered 4049 in the 1990s, probably because of redundancy. What got me on to this search in the first place was that I read somewhere that "buffered" cmos ICs will provide a better square wave than unbuffered Cmos, so I had to try myself. This is where I hunted down the 4049BE or buffered version of the 4049. First I tried it out in my Red Llama and the sound was atrocious, all spitty and choppy sounding. This is because the extra pairs couldn't be biased correctly, like you stated. Then I tried that same IC as a clock buffer in a flanger project that I had. I ran the clock at the specified 1.3mHz and the square wave wasn't any better than with the 4049UBE. So, basically, my hunt was a waste of time but I did learn something.
I think the confusion sets in because these ICs are called hex inverters or "hex buffers" even though the 4049 is an unbuffered hex buffer, er, I mean hex inverter... See what I mean? Now, is everyone confused???
One more thing I'd like to add: The CD4050 works fine as a clock buffer in place of the CD4049. Or at least in the pedal projects I've made, like flangers, delays, etc.
One more thing I'll add too:
I have bought 4049BE from fleabay which ended up being unbuffered 4049 ICs, so the UBE and BE suffixes aren't in strict adherence. My best test to determine whether the 4049 is buffered or unbuffered is to pop one in a Red Llama. If it sounds nice, it's unbuffered. If it sounds like $hit, it's buffered. BTW, a buffered 4049 will sound similar to a 4050 in a Red Llama.

Last edited:
Reactions: fig

blackhatboojum

Now the ds1 is a pedal I've never been able to make work for me. I've played modern reissues and an old japanese one that a friend of mine thinks is the best distortion he's ever played and it's all a bit m'eh. I even built one on Aion's board and it just wasn't for me. In the end I gave it to my friend who loves his old japanese one and it sounds great... When he plays it.
Word! Back in the 90’s, when I first started playing guitar, I thought the ds1 would make me sound like Kurt Cobain. It didn’t. 20 years later I revisited the ds1… still didn’t work for me.