"Express Lane" Pedals

Chuck D. Bones

Circuit Wizard
One of the active members on these forums (you know who you are), had used the term "Express Lane" to describe a pedal. What he meant was "15 items or less." We don't count anything that mounts on the box, such as switches, jacks, or pots. There are actually quite a few pedal designs that fit into this category, including the Rangemaster, Fuzz Face and Electro Distortion. The Fuzz Factory, for all it's versatility, has 13 parts. The Jordan Boss Tone squeezes under the line at 14 parts and the FuzzRite has 15 parts. The Zvex SHO has the lowest parts count I've found: 9 parts, 7 if you ditch the protection diodes.

What's your favorite Express Lane pedal?

Last edited:
Technically it has one part: the volume control on my guitar. For all the cool stuff I get to build these days and the cool amps I run them thru the most used effect I have is the volume control. Swelling into notes, changing up dynamics, creating pads and trying to wrangle as much character and voice out of the little beast as I can.

I've been playing for about 50 years and NOW I figure out how to use it???

Yeah, I was gonna say SRS EQ Exciter and Bigfoot Magnavibe, but they are a bit over in parts count.

Haha, glad you remembered :)

I do have an active member.

For me it's the SHO. Simple and wonderfully effective.

Or the LBP1. Just a few components
, whack it after a tone stack for some recovery, stack it 2 or 3 times over for a beasty drive pedal, use one in a dual pedal for an optional boost. It's a triumph.

i just built two DAM sonic titans based on an old DIY board from EAE. it is a killer distortion. i think a SHO running into the sonic titan in a single 1590BB would be an amazing two button stomp box, and still under 30 components!

Depending on the pedal's current demand, you may hit 1V long before the knob is at zero. Obviously, this won't work with every pedal. Pedals containing digital ICs (FV-1) or charge pumps will not like this.

I like to build this starve circuit into the box of many fuzz circuits. Devi Ever stuff especially reacts in a fun way. As do Bosstone variants.

Depending on the pedal's current demand, you may hit 1V long before the knob is at zero. Obviously, this won't work with every pedal. Pedals containing digital ICs (FV-1) or charge pumps will not like this.
If you lok at my UPDATE on Original listing you will see I built this in 2011, FV-1's were not around & the Klon was probably the only pedal using a Charge Pump. :LOL:

I enjoy the simple bazz fuss based circuits. I like to put 3 si diodes in series for a bit more clarity. Was my first *successful* build.

Back