Expressing Expressions

Knotty Pine

Is there a simple explanation/diagram with regards to adding expression control to any given parameter/potentiometer via TRS foot-controlled means?

cooder

And as for expression pedals out there I think Roland/Boss have a different connection to the internal pot than Yamaha.

Cucurbitam0schata

Clarification - the expression jack needs to be insulated... correct? I got extra TRS switched jacks laying around, hoping to use two of them for my expression jacks on a pair of leprechauns. Should I come up with some clever insulation for these jacks?

...and any clever tips on clever insulation? spare O-rings, nail polish, small strips of electrical tape all come to mind.

Thanks!

PedalPCB

Administrator
Staff member
Clarification - the expression jack needs to be insulated... correct?

Most of the time, yes.

If the pot in the circuit goes to ground (like a typical volume control, or the parameter controls of an FV-1 build), then no.

Trying to insulate an uninsulated jack sounds like more of a hassle than its worth... luckily in the case of the Leprechaun you don't have to.

Cucurbitam0schata

luckily in the case of the Leprechaun you don't have to.
Wow - that is some very lucky news for me. I thought I crossed all my t's and dotted my i's, and then forgot to snag insulated expression jacks. I have loads of those TRS switched jacks, so I'll be able to get this done. Thanks for the quick reply. (I'll find and reply to that other thread that coincidentally asked the same question over the weekend.)

Dirtydrowningman

Wow - that is some very lucky news for me. I thought I crossed all my t's and dotted my i's, and then forgot to snag insulated expression jacks. I have loads of those TRS switched jacks, so I'll be able to get this done. Thanks for the quick reply. (I'll find and reply to that other thread that coincidentally asked the same question over the weekend.)
Thanks my man