SOLVED First build: Glory Hole troubleshooting

thkhoo

Hi, I'm new into pedal building (new to electronics, actually) and tried to build a Morning Glory as my first project (first electronics project!). As this is my first electronics project, I didn't have the confidence to source BOM myself and purchased a complete kit from Musikding.de - it took a few weeks to get to me and was very well packed and labeled.

First, some background:
I have ZERO experience or knowledge in electronics. I can sort of follow a circuit diagram, but what it all means is totally over my head. I wanted to pick up a new skill and figured why not combine my fondness for music and pedals with my interest to learn electronics. I am working off the Glory Hole Revision 12.28.19 build doc. The wiring diagram (penultimate page) is a little different to the latest PCB but I looked up other builds on Google and various forums and figured it out (I think).

Initial Build:
I worked through the build starting with the resistors and diodes, then the IC, capacitors and transistors, and finally the potentiometers, and the switch. I then worked on the 3pdt (kit came with a PedalPCB 3pdt breakout board, which made things easy), jacks, power, and status LED. I made the schoolboy error of putting it all in the enclosure before testing. Nothing work - at all.

Troubleshooting:
I've read that the wiring stage is where most beginners mess up - and I did find this the most confusing part. I had reversed the polarity of the status LED, so I fixed that and the status LED now works. I went through all the wires and replaced a few dodgy looking ones with new wires - just to be sure.

The kit came with a IC socket but I had trouble getting the IC itself to seat properly into the socket once the socket was soldered to the PCB. So I removed the socket and soldered the IC directly onto the board, being careful to minimise the amount of time/heat to prevent damaging the IC.

I proceeded to "rewet" every solder and reworked any obviously bad looking ones (I'm new to this, so they are probably all terrible, as seen in the picture).

IMG_7105a.jpg IMG_7108a.jpg IMG_7106a.jpg

Issues:
When I plug in 9V power, I get a soft but obvious hum (in bypass mode). When I click the 3PDT, the LED is activated (as expected), and the hum remains but is now affected by all the pots and switch - The hum becomes softer/louder with the Volume control, it is affected by the Tone control, high frequencies of the hum are affected by the Hi-Cut switch (especially when Tone is dialed all the way "up") and Gain/Drive control also affects the timbre of the hum. No guitar signal comes through - the hum is steady and not affected by anything I do with the guitar. I flipped the jacks that I plugged the guitar and amp into - just in case I had the input/output reversed - but still nothing: Just a constant hum/static noise that can be manipulated somewhat with the controls but not with any input signals.

I don't have any spare components on hand but will be ordering some online to try and build an audio probe. I couldn't find any description of a similar issue in the forum (or other forums) but hoping for guidance from members here.

Thanks!

Back