SOLVED Flock LED doesn't light up, no sound

Ctrl4Smilerz

So I just finished the Flock, and in bypass and get a rhythmic popping sound, and when engaged the LED ring does not light up (Is the LED ring the problem?) and I get no sound at all. How should I go about debugging this? TIA

Flock.jpg

Last edited:
I may be wrong, but it looks like your DC jack is wired backwards. Is that possible?

DC_Jack_Pinout.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be wrong, but it looks like your DC jack is wired backwards. Is that possible?
Yes, fixed that, thanks. That got the LED working, got rid of the popping and got me sound. Sounds very scratchy and the rotary switch doesn't change anything. What should I check next?

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you have the Oct 1 and Oct 2 controls turned up, the rotary won't have any effect without some of the octave blended in.

I went back to double check. I set both Oct 1 and Oct 2 to full (CW) and still no change with the rotary. Is there a way I can test the rotary with a multimeter to see if its a solder joint, or a bad unit?

Check your Footswitch for Continuity to make sure you have no bridges between pins up & down.
You should not have any Continuity from left to right on middle pins:
Footswitch.jpg

I'm going to check all the solder connections tonight when I get home. Do you know how I can measure continuity of the center pin with a multimeter?
If you have a digital multimeter it likely has a continuity tester setting. Otherwise you can rig one up with an LED, a resistor, and a coin cell battery

If you have a digital multimeter it likely has a continuity tester setting. Otherwise you can rig one up with an LED, a resistor, and a coin cell battery

Thanks. I was trying to figure out which pins to check continuity between. I understand the pins outside the circle are the selection, but I'm not sure what the center pin doesn't and how they correlate to the header pin that connects it to the main board.

Thanks. I was trying to figure out which pins to check continuity between. I understand the pins outside the circle are the selection, but I'm not sure what the center pin doesn't and how they correlate to the header pin that connects it to the main board.
It will connect to 1 of the 10 inline pins , the other 9 being the outer Pins
Do you know how the DMM Continuity works?

thankfully this board is waiting for some resistors to finish so I had yet to solder the rotary.. and the pin you want is....(fakeass drumroll)from the left side looking at the flat down and the lug side, pin #4

Okay, so I went through all 9 positions and ran a continuity test between the header pins and the center pin of the rotary dial and found no problems. I did notice when testing it out that only the base and master pots do anything. It gets a great fuzz tone, that sustains for a really long time, but no harmony. Is it possible there is a problem with one of the ICs? Maybe the LED ring I'm using has a higher resistance that is messing something up? Any other ideas on what else to try?

Back