Fresh from the Skunk Works - Above Top Secret - the TSV808 Vemuram

Fingolfen

Ryan has completely outdone himself this time. I just finished up his "Above Top Secret" project - an amazing clone of the always expensive, but now ridiculously expensive Ibanez TSV808 Vemuram.

Tone Geek - ATS - 01.jpg

As is typical for most Tone Geek builds, he includes a BOM of recommended components to as closely as possible replicate the original. I went with his BOM which includes a variety of high end resistors (including a couple of 1/2W resistors), mica capacitors, axial film capacitors, and solid polymer capacitors rather than traditional electrolytic capacitors. The only modification from the original circuit I went with is the recommended change of the reverse polarity protection diode - using a 1N5817 rather than a 1N4148. This gives the pedal a bit more headroom. The only issue I encountered is there is a misprint on the silkscreen on the first run of PCBs (though the BOM and instructions are correct) - the silkscreen calls out a JRC4558D op amp when it should be an OPA2134PA.

Tone Geek - ATS - 02.jpg

There is no daughter board for the 3PDT switch, so it has to be hand wired. For the poles of the switch which had to be connected, I just went ahead and used jumper wire and saved pickup wire for the longer runs. While there are holes set up on the board for input and output grounds, the recommended wiring diagram utilizes a star ground on the input like most AionFX boards.

Tone Geek - ATS - 03.jpg

As with most Tone Geek projects, this one includes a face plate as well, and from that faceplate you can see genius of this particular design. Rather than the Bass and Saturation controls being small trimmers requiring a screwdriver on the back of the unit, they're pots which can be adjusted as easily as the rest of the controls. The same goes for the clipping dip switches, they're now on the front of the unit as well.

More backstory and gory details at the blog: https://steggostudios.blogspot.com/2022/07/above-top-secret-cloning-vemuram-tsv808.html

Nice looking build!

Wheew, I just got one of these to trace, when I saw your post I was like "Oh s**t! Waste of money! 🤦‍♂️"... but apparently he doesn't want to release the schematic? Back to tracing I go! :ROFLMAO:
Edit: wrong screenshot... back to tracing... looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Different PCB, that's for the Jan Ray clone.

I don't mind doing the trace myself, I just thought it had become redundant and pointless.

Although I must admit.... this makes me want to trace that PCB next to see why and what we're not wanting to release.

I realize it sounds hypocritical considering how slow I am to get schematics published, but I don't think I've ever said that I'm just not going to share a schematic at all because I decided not to. But hey, it's his trace and he can do what he wants with it. It's not for me to tell him to give his work away for free. (But rest assured, the schematic is coming regardless)

Now back to @Fingolfen's excellent build report!

I don't mind doing the trace myself, I just thought it had become redundant and pointless.

Although I must admit.... this makes me want to trace that PCB next to see why and what we're not wanting to release.

I realize it sounds hypocritical considering how slow I am to get schematics published, but I don't think I've ever said that I'm just not going to share a schematic at all because I decided not to. But hey, it's his trace and he can do what he wants with it. It's not for me to tell him to give his work away for free. (But rest assured, the schematic is coming regardless)

... the Jay Ray clone is likely next on the work bench... ;)

It's puzzling that the description says "I can confirm that this circuit is unique and does not share too much with the Timmy/Jan Ray." ...

Isn't it a modified TS808? Why would you compare it to a Timmy and not a TS808? And how can it be unique?

Oh curiosity... I'm not ready to start on this one but dammit now I feel like I have to shove EVERYTHING off of my de

OK, maybe I shouldn't have knocked my keyboard and monitor off, we're back.

Most importantly.... How do you like it?
I've only gotten to play with it for about a half hour or so, but I'm really liking it. The more aggressive clipping option gives you a light distortion if you want it, but you can back it off and get more of a traditional overdrive as well. I love the fact that all of the controls are on the top as well.

After reading about this wonderful build, I'm tempted to build one of these. But...ugg! Trying really hard to resist. Feel like a crack addict. "Come-on man! Just one more build! I promise it'll be the last one!" :p

Tone Geek is a huge John Mayer fan... I'm more of a Gilmour / Lifeson fan, but Mayer has some great toys... :D

Yeah definitely not a bad thing. He surely has some great tones. Gilmour and Lifeson are my faves too.

Would love the build that amp one day.

Yeah definitely not a bad thing. He surely has some great tones. Gilmour and Lifeson are my faves too.

Would love the build that amp one day.
I'm actually working on it. The PCBs are done, I just need to finish all of the off board stuff... I'd built my component cart (go searching, I posted it a while back) so I could have a space to build the amp, and haven't gotten back to the amp... *DOH*

I have the PCB, drilled enclosure, faceplate, BOM & wiring guide for this build, but no schematic. And the BOM does NOT designate what style of switches are used for the toggles. Are they "On-On", "On-On-On" or "On-Off-On"? And is there a schematic available?

Any help please?

Did you ever do the trace on the Above Top Secret for a schematic?

Back