Fret Help

finebyfine

On one of my guitars on one string two different frets make the same note. Tried raising the action on that string but its still there. Googling this was like 50/50 “don’t even think of touching it yourself” and “easy to diy”. Anyone have experience with this?

Coda

Find a credit card, or something of credit card material. Use the short side, and slide it perpendicular to the frets (along the strings). At the problem area, does it rock back and forth? Or does it stay flat?

Stickman393

Speaking as a guy who's wrecked a few guitars:

Honestly rate your ability to see small differences in levels, in understanding how much material you're removing when you use a piece of sandpaper or a file, and in doing fine, light-touch, precision work.

Some people have a good base of experience and temperament to pull from. I'm ADHD AF and, ah wrecked a few guitars.

Not that I've stopped trying. If the guitar is important to you, it may be worth taking it to an expert.

finebyfine

Is this a recent thing or always on this guitar?
super recent. Within the past 3 weeks and have never had any issues with it before

Find a credit card, or something of credit card material. Use the short side, and slide it perpendicular to the frets (along the strings). At the problem area, does it rock back and forth? Or does it stay flat?

I will try this tomorrow morning!

BurntFingers

It's a high fret, it'll need to be sanded or filed a few microns so it's not a high fret anymore and the string behind it can wobble freely. I have a crowning file from StewMac I use for this very thing.

finebyfine

Just did this. It rocks back and forth and dips into the fingerboard there and only there.

The string in question (D) also has a slight inverted divot at that same point.

I have plenty of fine grade sanding and polishing stuff and the guitar in question has covered EMGs so I'm not too worried about making a mess with magnetic dust if that's the move

Edit:

After writing this I started thinking more about the divot and bent the D string up as high as possible out of the way, and bending the A string into position. I tried fretting the A string at the 6th, 7th, and 8th frets at the problem area. It doesn't have any problems. Looks like I probably just ought to restring it

Coda

Just did this. It rocks back and forth and dips into the fingerboard there and only there.

I have plenty of fine grade sanding and polishing stuff and the guitar in question has covered EMGs so I'm not too worried about making a mess with magnetic dust if that's the move
Does the feet look like it’s pushed out of the fretboard a bit?

thewintersoldier

Could you take a couple pictures from different angles? Seeing is half the battle. Then I can recommend a fix for you, or taking it to a lurhier. Either way, it sounds like your on the fence and that's always my recommendation to take it to someone qualified to work on it, or at the very minimum to fix it if they fuck it up lol

finebyfine

Could you take a couple pictures from different angles? Seeing is half the battle. Then I can recommend a fix for you, or taking it to a lurhier. Either way, it sounds like your on the fence and that's always my recommendation to take it to someone qualified to work on it, or at the very minimum to fix it if they fuck it up lol

If it weren't during covid I would 100% just take it to a shop, I really haven't been leaving my house for anything but work and the essentials. Here are photos that I hope are more helpful than I think they are:

IMG_7905.jpg IMG_7907.jpg IMG_7910.jpg

Stickman393

Looks like it mighta popped up a touch. Anybody second?

I say...proceed with caution. I've tried tapping them back in, only to dent the hell out of the fret and have it bounce right back.

Never been able to get glue to wick cleanly into the slot while the fret is in place either...

music6000

thank you so much! Just got to work but when I get home I’ll try to see if this looks like something I could manage but it does not look terribly difficult and definitely looks easier than I was expecting when starting the thread. Love when an instructional video is done that well.
This happens if you have been in a Cold place & then the Guitar has been exposed to a Hot environment.
My mates Gibson Les Paul came from -10 degrees celsius to 40 degrees celsius & 5 frets popped!
Sometimes you can put an exacto blade along the edge and the Fret will lift or completely pop out.
A little drop of superglue on the 2 ends and middle if its loose but make sure it's pressed down and the fret is even on both sides of the neck!!!
The Video above is very Handy!

thewintersoldier

This happens if you have been in a Cold place & then the Guitar has been exposed to a Hot environment.
My mates Gibson Les Paul came from -10 degrees celsius to 40 degrees celsius & 5 frets popped!
Sometimes you can put an exacto blade along the edge and the Fret will lift or completely pop out.
A little drop of superglue on the 2 ends and middle if its loose but make sure it's pressed down and the fret is even on both sides of the neck!!!
The Video above is very Handy!
there can be numerous cause for this. Often times it may not have been seated properly from the factory. Expansion/contraction, wrong size fret tang/fret slot, dried out fretboard/over saturated fretboard. It also looks like something struck the fret at well with that line in it. Usually if its a string divot it run perpendicular to the fret but that line is parallel with the fret. that could also be a cause. the next fret up is looking a little suspect as well.