Fuchsia Fuzz Clip Control

Jovi Bon Kenobi

Link to build docs. Finished boxing this up. Everything works and it sounds KILLER! I built the 5 knob version from the build docs with separate treble, bass, and clip. Before I label it I had a question about the optional "Clip" control. All the way counter clockwise it has more of an old school fuzzface sound and clockwise more tight and modern with many usable shades in-between. Does this control just dial in (clockwise) or remove (counterclockwise) the 1N4007 diodes for clipping?

Thanks!

Oh, and I used an AC127 with an HFE of 120 for the NPN germanium because I didn't have the 2N1308. Dunno if that's optimal but it sounds pretty dang good. I have a few other NPN's but they're all in the 50-90 HFE range.

I think it's like a softness control it being reverse taper your description sounds right

It looks like a variable bounding resistor that controls how much signal gets shunted to ground through the diodes thereby altering the clipping threshold

Here

Scroll down to adding a softness and clipping threshold control

I think it's like a softness control it being reverse taper your description sounds right

It looks like a variable bounding resistor that controls how much signal gets shunted to ground through the diodes thereby altering the clipping threshold

Here

Scroll down to adding a softness and clipping threshold control

Ok that is very helpful and informative. I really appreciate it!

CLIP is both a compression control and a distortion control. With CLIP at zero, the diodes are more-or-less out of the circuit and all of the distortion comes from overdriving Q2 & Q3. For the stock Pink Purple sound and maximum compression, turn CLIP full clockwise. The CLIP control was my idea. A huge range of tones are available in the five knob version. Try setting FUZZ and CLIP to zero, it can even do mellow. This thing is my favorite fuzz, with the Skreddy Screw Driver and Mojito tied for second.

One more thing, this pedal is very tolerant w.r.t. transistor parameters for Q3 because the bias is very stable and Q2 can drive the shit outta Q3 at high FUZZ settings. Mine has a 2N1306 in it.

Last edited:
CLIP is both a compression control and a distortion control. With CLIP at zero, the diodes are more-or-less out of the circuit and all of the distortion comes from overdriving Q2 & Q3. For the stock Pink Purple sound and maximum compression, turn CLIP full clockwise. The CLIP control was my idea. A huge range of tones are available in the five knob version. Try setting FUZZ and CLIP to zero, it can even do mellow. This thing is my favorite fuzz, with the Skreddy Screw Driver and Mojito tied for second.

One more thing, this pedal is very tolerant w.r.t. transistor parameters for Q3 because the bias is very stable and Q2 can drive the shit outta Q3 at high FUZZ settings. Mine has a 2N1306 in it.
Thanks, for the description, Chuck. I understand it perfectly now. I can honestly say that that "clip" knob is brilliant in concept and execution. It is truly the backbone of the circuit's versatility. The thought of it not being a controllable parameter in one's build would be a shame. You are a dang wizard, man.

I socketed all the crucial stuff so I look forward to playing around with it when I get back home. Currently outta state scoping out new opportunities and cheaper quality of life situations than San Francisco.

Thanks, Man. Bjorn Juhl really nailed it with this pedal. I tried fiddling component values and other than adding the CLIP control, I was hard-pressed to improve on his design.

Good luck with the search. Anyplace gotta be less expensive than SF, except maybe NYC.

Back