Fuzz face/tone bender 2in1

Dan0h

I am thinking about combining a twin face and a tone bender in the same box. I have all sorts of ideas of what to call it, But I also know how temperamental fuzzes can get and their order. My Percolator builds are only happy as the very first pedal in the chain.

1. Is this a bad idea?
2. Which one first?

I’m thinking tone bender into fuzz face. I also got a FS 4pdt for the twin so I can click between the trans options, so with three FS’s already I don’t want an order switch. Going to (try to) squeeze this in a 1590bb.

I'd suggest using something like a jFET blender/mixer to manage it. It's only a few components.

Edit: But someone more knowledgeable may have a better solution.

Split+n+Blend.png

Instead of jacks, run the leads to the individual circuits.

I third this idea. Do an external bias pot for the fuzz face as well— that way you can get really cool gated fuzz sounds and infinite sustain at the same time. Like a fuzz guitar version of the Tony Visconti reverb trick

I third this idea. Do an external bias pot for the fuzz face as well— that way you can get really cool gated fuzz sounds and infinite sustain at the same time. Like a fuzz guitar version of the Tony Visconti reverb trick
I was considering putting the trim pots on the bottom of the pcb so I could drill a little hole and be able to tweak it from the top.

This split n blend circuit sends the input to two buffers. One buffer goes to the dry side of the mix knob, and one goes to the send jack (for the wet signal). So it would not be good for this project.

Directly sending the input to both circuits means the input impedance of both will be in play. I imagine this will affect the tone of both circuits, since especially the FF has quite low input impedance. Maybe it would sound cool, I’d do a good bit of experimenting first.

This split n blend circuit sends the input to two buffers. One buffer goes to the dry side of the mix knob, and one goes to the send jack (for the wet signal). So it would not be good for this project.

Directly sending the input to both circuits means the input impedance of both will be in play. I imagine this will affect the tone of both circuits, since especially the FF has quite low input impedance. Maybe it would sound cool, I’d do a good bit of experimenting first.
Tonebenders are okay with buffers, so the FF is the only one that would be a problem, but you could put an AMZ pickup simulator circuit after the splitter but before the FF

After spending half the day reading about this, starting to think they won’t really sound great together and would most likely just use them independently but that doesn’t mean they can’t be in the same enclosure. Might just have a small patch bay in the back. Lol.

Reactions: fig
The whole point of a/b is that they will never be on together. One FS will turn the pedal on and the other will choose which one is active. You would then have a third FS to choose between Si and Ge. That should always mean the one on is first.

If you thought you might use a TB after your FF then choose your image. It doesn’t matter that much. It’s more about convenience and the practical aspect of how they are engaged.

I have a better idea, aion has the to mk11 board and has a switch that drops the first transistor which makes it a mk1.5 which is essentially a fuzz face with slightly modded values. You could put the switch on a foot switch and go between the two. Just a thought.
With Mr. PeadlPCB’s generosity and the current discount code I’m virtually getting the MKII for free with the other boards that are on their way. It’s just a matter of do I box them together or separate. Since I’ve never had a FF or a bender I didn’t realize until today that they may be very similar to each other at the end of the day.

Reactions: fig
Back