Fuzzboy v3

BurntFingers

It's not a pedalpcb board.

It's a vero.

Avert your eyes if you're not into that.

ecUhNZy_d.jpg
It's a ritual/meathead/colorsound style of thing but with an added tone knob and voltage divider which replicates a dying battery by sending 9v to ground (to a minimum of 2.2v).

The tone is a super basic 0.047uf cap on a pot after the output (the volume in this case) that sends treble to ground. Basically like a tone pot on a guitar. This pedal inherently has a lot of top end so this thickens it up wonderfully.

axJZRsf_d.jpg

After 2 days of troubleshooting and basically rebuilding everything I got it working. Turns out the qs were backwards, even though they were the same way as v1 and v2, but these are from a different supplier so there we go.

There's no gain control but the starve function sort of functions as a pregain. The only caveat there is the volume of course drops off but stick a boost in front and it's super good fun. 8 bit sputter and dying notes, then roll it back up and it's like liquid sludge pouring out of the speakers. Great fun.

I kept it quiet by using a 330uf cap as power filtering. If you can see I did use a cap on series with a resistor across the jacks, which did filter out even more noise but then I realised I hardwired a treble cut across the entire circuit so I removed it. It's no noisier than anything else I've made so all is good. V1 was a can of bees. V3 is as it should be.

YzdBwmf_d.jpg

Yep acrylic sticks to anything. The clear is enamel, which also sticks to anything.

I don't have a schematic I'm afraid.

Where did you get the vero layout?

Hmm... that's a good question. I've had the png file on my pc for about 4 years and I don't remember where I got it. It's a Ritual fuzz with some mods based on what I had in the drawer. I know tagboard do a compact one that looks pretty swish.

Great use of the foam from Tayda :D

Ha yep I needed something and it's just the right height. I stick it down with spray adhesive.

The other smaller bit was for a plan I had to make a sort of grounding rail - run a wire from the DC jack ground to a 1x8 piece of vero and have all the grounds wired to that board instead of jamming up one of the jacks. I've no idea if that'd work or not as it, or if I'd need to connect the other end of the ground rail to something else (like the output jack), just an idea I had.

For vero boards where there’s so many ground points, I bought some crimp terminals like this https://www.taydaelectronics.com/crimp-ring-terminal-size-m4-awg-22-16.html

Soldered all my grounds to that and fastened it with the screw to the enclosure.

Logical.

For my ground rail idea, would I need to ground that to anything from the other end? If so, could I use the output jack ground?

Then all the various ground wires go to the vero. It all seems a little too easy...

Logical.

For my ground rail idea, would I need to ground that to anything from the other end? If so, could I use the output jack ground?

Then all the various ground wires go to the vero. It all seems a little too easy...

Yeah I still go from dc to output jack to the crimp terminal (just one run of bare 20awg wire, not 2 pieces on each) Don’t know if it’s necessary but it works. I only use the terminal if I have lots of pot lugs to ground, it can be far too messy otherwise.

I've found that with most veros, if you trace along from the marked ground (on the vero layout) you'll typically find 2 or 3 more points on other strips where the ground also connects. I then use those points for additional ground wires. When I want a challenge, I build vero. When I want neat and works first time, I build PedalPCB. ?

I've found that with most veros, if you trace along from the marked ground (on the vero layout) you'll typically find 2 or 3 more points on other strips where the ground also connects. I then use those points for additional ground wires. When I want a challenge, I build vero. When I want neat and works first time, I build PedalPCB. ?

Yep I was aware of that, I'm just thinking ahead and wondering about this ground rail idea. With solid wire you can get some pretty neat routing since it stays in shape reasonably well and I could hide the wires to some degree. In my head it looks great.

I'm not sure about you but I find Vero a lot more satisfying to build from. As good as the PCBs are it's vaguely impersonal and kinda painting by numbers whereas vero is all your own work, planning, and graft. Although a lot more difficult, it's more creatively inspiring (for me).

Yep I was aware of that, I'm just thinking ahead and wondering about this ground rail idea. With solid wire you can get some pretty neat routing since it stays in shape reasonably well and I could hide the wires to some degree. In my head it looks great.

I'm not sure about you but I find Vero a lot more satisfying to build from. As good as the PCBs are it's vaguely impersonal and kinda painting by numbers whereas vero is all your own work, planning, and graft. Although a lot more difficult, it's more creatively inspiring (for me).
100% agree. When I was starting out with building pedals, PCB's at least gave me a fighting chance of having a working pedal. Once my skills improved - soldering, wiring/layout and troubleshooting - I began to realize that pretty much every issue was solvable. I primarily use PedalPCB boards when I'm building for others. Most of the time I'm now building vero, or occasionally perfboard, for simple circuits like Fuzzface, Benders or boosts. Also, when I get the urge, I want to start building right away, and not wait for the order to be delivered. ?

Back