Fv-1 debugging

captainmint

Hello, I have some problems with my spatialist(arachnid), I only get dry signal, only the mix and volume pots are working.
I checked everything other than fv-1, they are all working. I’m new to fv-1 so I don’t really know how to tell whether it’s burnt or not.
(I ordered stuff to build an audio probe, it takes forever to come during this time in Europe, don’t know when I will get it.)
Here’s the voltage read of my fv-1, the only thing that I’m not sure about is the crystal part, pin 9 and 10.
(PIN15 is 1.04, not -1.04, my bad.)

Could anyone help me check if there’s anything suspicious?
Thanks in advance!

F911EFA0-994D-4719-B308-8A362CA06410.jpeg

Last edited:
I'll have to open one up and compare voltages, but pins 1 and 2 don't seem right.
Pin 15 definitely shouldn't be negative.

Where did you get your FV-1 IC? Can you post a picture?

On second thought, the Spin logo doesn't look right on that FV-1 IC..... :unsure:

Let me double check the ones I have in stock tomorrow morning. Production was moved to a different manufacturer recently and it's possible the logo placement changed, but I don't believe that's the case.

On second thought, the Spin logo doesn't look right on that FV-1 IC..... :unsure:

Let me double check the ones I have in stock tomorrow morning. Production was moved to a different manufacturer recently and it's possible the logo placement changed, but I don't believe that's the case.
but in general it's annoying that we have to order everything as a kit from musikding, I have only done 2 projects, they messed up the components both of the times. If musikding stocked their fv-1 from a not trustworthy supplier I wouldn't be surprised.

Hi, I just had the same symptoms on a hydra kit I also got from musikding. The issue was a resistor wasn't letting the signal arrive to the FV-1... Musikding had mislabeled, it was 1 meg instead of 1k. Maybe check all resistors values ?

Hi, I just had the same symptoms on a hydra kit I also got from musikding. The issue was a resistor wasn't letting the signal arrive to the FV-1... Musikding had mislabeled, it was 1 meg instead of 1k. Maybe check all resistors values ?
DAMN!!! you're a genius! my R3 is a 1meg!!! let me check if I have spare 1k around. thank you so much!

Hopefully that'll do it! And yep, looks like the logo engraving has been changed on the new batches of FV-1's.
Nah, there were in total 3 resistors that were mislabeled. I changed all of them, still getting the same result, sad.
Maybe it's my fv-1. I will just put this one aside for now?

Also there were two 24LC32A in the kit I got, one was labelled eeprom, I don't know why they gave me two... I just don't trust musikding anymore

Ground the left end of R5, if you get effects (it won't be the Spatialist) then you can suspect the EEPROM as the problem.
hello, I built an audio probe today, I don't get any sound when I touch the left end of R5, and only dry signal when I touch the right end, the sound is same when I have the EEPROM on the board or take it off.
No output at pin28. Should I just go for a new fv-1 now? Thank you!

Does it work now?
As i am about to start building with a FV-1 for the first time,i am following this thread and curious how it is going on.
I ordered a new fv-1 chip from banzai music, they ship orders really slow during this time, it hasn't been shipped yet, I will let you know as soon as I replace it!

Back