DEMO FZ-1A Fuzz (Chucks stripboarded Version)

This post contains an audio or video demo

steviejr92

Authorized Vendor
Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
The FZ -1A is by far a fuzz that i can use all the time! As soon as you turn it on your greeted with a buzz saw dark growl that likes to keep buzzing for a longgg time. haha I absolutely love this thing! If you havent built it yet its a must have! I believe theres a board here on the @PedalPCB site called the Kilimanjaro fuzz its basically the same thing i guess if youre not into stripboarding. I highly recommend it!

I went with a MPF111 for Q1. I didnt bother even testing it as it came from the Grand Circuit Wizard himself @Chuck D. Bones! For Q2 and Q3 I went with MP38As again they came from the Wizard himself didnt bother to test them only was paying attention to pinouts. But from reading and following his schem Here i know that Q2 and Q3 need to be leaky as heck. As for the protection diode i went with a 1n4004 as i dont have 1n4003s. Did a quick google search and found out they are pretty much swappable so i just went with it and didnt think twice. As for the "Attack" i went with a A50k pot. I was reading further into Chucks guide and he was thinking about swapping out the B50k he had originally in there because "the bottom end of the rotation can be touchy" his words not mine.

As for the enclosure i wanted to stay true to what Chuck had going on with his. I love the "utility look" the conduit box gives you. At the same time it looks like a 1960s Volkswagen bus...haha. The box can be purchased at Lowes for 2 bucks! Heres the Link! As well as the "outlet backplate" oh and dont forget your washers! Youre going to need to punchout the bottom cutout and JB weld washers in place to hold the footswitch! Dont be a dummy like me and paint the enclosure first then drill the holes...this enclosure is NOT like the aluminum enclosures we are used to and take much longer to get through. Therefore there is relicing in the sides on where the jacks go! But i like that look! Other than that its straightforward like any other enclosure!

Definite 5 out of 5 for me! Its a must build circuit! I can tell im going to be playing with this one for a while! There something special about the simplistic designs of these fuzz circuits that draw my attention like now other and this one is no exception! Might do a demo tomorrow as for now im just gonna enjoy it! Thanks @Chuck D. Bones for providing me his vero layout and guiding me when a question arose!

IMG-1032.jpg

IMG-1033.jpg

IMG-1034.jpg

The Kilimanjaro fuzz is basically a more builder friendly Tone Bender MKI... Q1&3 need to be leaky... Q2 can be leaky but the circuit actually works better with a low leakage transistor in Q2, especially if you like some of the attack knob to have "gated fuzz".
BTW, I like the enclosure... I'm seeing more and more pedals built into electrical junction/switch boxes which is pretty smart. Those boxes are quite durable.

Last edited:
The Kilimanjaro fuzz is basically a more builder friendly Tone Bender MKI... Q1&3 need to be leaky... Q2 can be leaky but the circuit actually works better with a low leakage transistor in Q2, especially if you like some of the attack knob to have "gated fuzz".
BTW, I like the enclosure... I'm seeing more and more pedals built into electrical junction/switch boxes which is pretty smart. Those boxes are quite durable.
I agree i didnt realize just how strong they are. drilling into them is a different experience than the aluminum enclosures! For 2 bucks you can t beat it!

Back