Gadget Fuzz

Laundryroom David

Keyboard Cowboy 🤠
Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Well ok then.

Lady, gentlemen, and the rest of my lovely degenerates, I give you: the gadget. Much like me as a teenager, it’s angry, barely domesticated and a little unnerving to be around.

Built per the BOM except for the mosfets. I’m full of bs, but not of the 170 variety. Fortunately I have a bag of 2n7000s and used a couple of those instead. For the GE diodes, I used some I got in a bag from a righteous dude in Ukraine. Not sure what they are but they do the thing.

I sanded the enclosure for shits ‘n’ giggles. My wonky back and wrist gave up before I finished sanding, so I’m not happy with how it looks, but that’s actually good. Reflecty knobs and a waterclear pink LED round things out.

How does it sound? Indescribable. Really. On its own into a clean amp, I got several odd degrees of gating to overdrive to full on cracked-out extreme tonebender splat and sizzle. But into the dirt channel? Oh my. Oh my oh my oh my. My old high school dreams of being a guitar player in a hardcore industrial band awaken. This is ugly, brutal and dangerously beautiful. And all at the same time.

I like it. I like it a lot.

You should build one.

IMG_6468.jpeg IMG_6469.jpeg

I was just thinking of building another of these for myself, but I was thinking either Propolis or Squidward (both in parallel?) before and a Noise Tank afterward.

The last one I built was on commission so I didn't get to spend any real time with it, but I did like the way it fuckoed everything after it

Nice build. I was always curious about this one. I just love the description from Zvex:
"One thing to keep in mind, however, is that this pedal basically sounds horrible. It's primary purpose is to cut through. But like a wild man with a machete, it is not nice."
YES!

Living dangerously, my friend. Living dangerously 🤣
I’m a firm believer that sip sockets can potentially cause more problems than they are worth, the only case Where I would personally use them off the top of my head would be a Jfet phaser and once I got that working I would solder the fets in place.

I’m a firm believer that sip sockets can potentially cause more problems than they are worth, the only case Where I would personally use them off the top of my head would be a Jfet phaser and once I got that working I would solder the fets in place.
Same. These days I tend to solder in everything but JFETs until I know for sure that it sounds right. Then I solder those to the sockets.

Back