SOLVED Glory Hole microphonic

Robusto

Hey gang,

Finished the Glory Hole last night, and I gotta say it is amazing! Like, literally my new favorite overdrive pedal.

Weird thing: there's something slightly microphonic going on...like when I hit the switch I hear it in the amp. Not like a pop that the pulldown resistor would fix, but like tapping a humbucker with a screwdriver. My one theory is that I didn't have any 47pf film caps so I used a ceramic MLLC. Could this be an issue? Wanted to see if anyone has an opinion before I go diving in there to change it out.

BTW, who else is thankful for pedal building in this time of isolation. I built this entire pedal from start to finish in 4 hrs. last night. It was a blast!

Stay healthy!

Hey gang,

Finished the Glory Hole last night, and I gotta say it is amazing! Like, literally my new favorite overdrive pedal.

Weird thing: there's something slightly microphonic going on...like when I hit the switch I hear it in the amp. Not like a pop that the pulldown resistor would fix, but like tapping a humbucker with a screwdriver. My one theory is that I didn't have any 47pf film caps so I used a ceramic MLLC. Could this be an issue? Wanted to see if anyone has an opinion before I go diving in there to change it out.

BTW, who else is thankful for pedal building in this time of isolation. I built this entire pedal from start to finish in 4 hrs. last night. It was a blast!

Stay healthy!
Did you make sure that the pedal is properly grounded? I had a similar issue when I forgot to remove the powder coat from holes for the in/out jacks, and tapping the pedal made a popping sound. Once I ensured that the jacks had solid contact with the enclosure, the pedal was quieter and there was no more tapping noise when I touched the enclosure.

No pictures so if it isn't in an Enclosure yet, Your lucky that is all you can hear.
If it is in the Enclosure, make sure you have good grounds as mentioned above on the In & Out jacks inside the enclosure, specially if its Powder Coated.
If you are talking about the Toggle switch, it's Normal to hear some noise as the switch crosses the contacts!
If all the above has been Done, there could be a dry joint in the Soldering that is presenting the noise when pressing the Footswitch.

Sorry guys, false alarm. I finished this build at like 2am, and I was keeping the volume very low while testing. The sound wasn't actually coming through the amp, it was just loud because the amp was so quiet. :rolleyes::LOL:

RESOLVED

Back