Gnat fuzz

almondcity

This is my 2nd Gnat board. I previously built an Elka Dizzy Tone on one which I still love. This pedal is much less thick and much more crunchy. This one is also less noisy.

I'm kinda wondering if my diode is in backwards, it's D9K but the band is printed almost right in the middle. Might try messing with it later. Definitely prefer the Dizzy Tone right now, not sure if that's due to the different design or my components

Attachments

• 20220531_180230.jpg
    20220531_180230.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 20220531_180243.jpg
    20220531_180243.jpg
    997.4 KB · Views: 20
The Buzzaround is gated, and thus less noisy than the Dizzy. I describe the Dizzy as a fuzz and the Buzzaround as a distortion. In fact I use it as a focused metal distortion. The Dizzy is more like a thick 60s buzz fuzz with all the noise from an open bias.

This is my 2nd Gnat board. I previously built an Elka Dizzy Tone on one which I still love. This pedal is much less thick and much more crunchy. This one is also less noisy.

I'm kinda wondering if my diode is in backwards, it's D9K but the band is printed almost right in the middle. Might try messing with it later. Definitely prefer the Dizzy Tone right now, not sure if that's due to the different design or my components
I think the diode is in correctly. I have the same diodes and the second band is the side that would normally considered the cathode, except it seems most of the "D" series are from "opposite land". But since it's socketed you can do as @fig suggested and test it with a DMM. When I sorted my D9E and D9K's I just compared then to my 1N34A's and other assorted Ge diodes and they all read opposite orientation (banded side is actually anode.)

Back