Great Vengeance-D*A*M Ezekiel 25:17

thewintersoldier

Here's another excellent Bass Drive from my homie David aka Storyboardist. Versatile bass drive to has lots 4 clipping options, clean blend and drive can go from low gain to fuzz like. Bonus, also sounds good on guitar. Playing more bass lately so I'm assembling bass circuits for a dedicated board. No film on tayda enclosure with Bullseye. I'll try and get a sound clip up this weekend.
PXL-20220115-161920884-2.jpg
PXL-20220115-161955237.jpg

thewintersoldier

Nice one! Between this and the Brassmaster (MBP Boom Boom / VFE Woodchipper), I’ve been set on bass dirt. What’re your thoughts on the Ge clipping? I was rather underwhelmed by it. I think I need to try @jubal81’s Ge diode substitute there.
The germanium is cool for low gain stuff imo. I'm pretty sure that what David Main was going for when he made the pedal. I think making it asymmetrical was a better choice than symmetrical. But LED is where it at!

benny_profane

The germanium is cool for low gain stuff imo. I'm pretty sure that what David Main was going for when he made the pedal. I think making it asymmetrical was a better choice than symmetrical. But LED is where it at!
I think I may need to try some other diodes in mine. Although, as-is it does provide some nice bite to note attack.

EDIT: Is the rotary labeled correctly?

jubal81

Nice one! Between this and the Brassmaster (MBP Boom Boom / VFE Woodchipper), I’ve been set on bass dirt. What’re your thoughts on the Ge clipping? I was rather underwhelmed by it. I think I need to try @jubal81’s Ge diode substitute there.
Just looked at the schematic and you'd notice a big difference swapping in the Bat54s + 68R substitution. It works wherever you'd need a low-leakage set of Ge diodes and in an A/B test against them, you'd never be able to tell the difference.
In this case, you'd need two Bat54s and ONE 68R resistor in series with the 3 diodes in circuit.

benny_profane

Just looked at the schematic and you'd notice a big difference swapping in the Bat54s + 68R substitution. It works wherever you'd need a low-leakage set of Ge diodes and in an A/B test against them, you'd never be able to tell the difference.
Yeah, I don’t think I measured leakage for the diodes I put in there. Since they’re in the feedback loop, that value matters.

Do you mean that you’d notice a big difference going from leaky to the sub and that there’d be no difference between non-leaky Ge and the sub board?

Mentaltossflycoon

I love this circuit so so so much. Led is also my favorite but I didn't find any "bad" sounds in that box. I'd likely use the germanium setting more for low gain stuff if I wasn't so in love with my chop shop. I mostly find myself fiddling with the other 3 with higher gain. Delicious.

benny_profane

@jubal81 I’ve got a bunch of the sub boards from the OSH park project soldered up with the diode package, but I keep forgetting to pick up 68R resistors. I’ll let you know when I finally put them to use.

Chuck D. Bones

Circuit Wizard
Nice build!

Every Russian Ge diode I've measured was extremely leaky. Jubal81 has found a great solution using Schottky. Schottky diodes are leaky too, but not nearly as bad a Ge.