Green Russian C11 & C12 flip/switch??? Correction needed?

irvmuller

I've got a question about the Green Russian caps for C11 and C12. I've been looking a up a lot of schematics on the original Green Russian. Everything I'm seeing from the original has 100nF for the second to last cap in the Tonestack (C12) and 10nF for the ground just before it (C11). However, in the build directions it has those flipped. Which is correct? It seems like putting a 10nF in C12 would greatly reduce the bass.

In the pic below, from Big Muff Page, it has it in the place of C3 and C8. C3 having the greater value of 100nF and C8 having the lower value of 10nF.

Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 9.49.19 AM.png

Recheck the build doc. C11 (Kit Rae C8) is listed as 10n and C12 (Kit Rae C3) is 100n.

C12 (KR C3) is a coupling cap and not strictly part of the tone stack. It’s designed to be essentially an all pass filter for DC blocking.

EDIT: The coupling caps do act as HPFs. You can enlarge them to add more bass into the circuit. You’d want to change them throughout the circuit, though. The BAT pharaoh is an example of a BMP that increases the size of the coupling caps.

Last edited:
Rechecked, you are absolutely right. My eyes were looking at the Stomp 75 as I had them right next to each other. It's the Stomp that has them in the reverse order. I'll have to think through that one when I get to the stomp.

Thanks for filling me in. I feel like there's always something fun and new to learn!

Back