Guitar wiring question

megatrav

So, I've had my Fender Duo Sonic HS for a few years now. It's my main guitar.
I'm going to be doing some small upgrades to it (new nut, saddles, pickguard, and wiring harness).

I have the original wiring diagram but there are a couple of mods that I want to do:
A treble bleed and the PRS coil split mod (1-2.2k resistor is added so one coil doesn't completely go to ground.. I guess ha)

Anyway, I am not sure what value of cap and resistor would work best for an HS guitar.
I was thinking about going with 2.2k resistor for the coil split but I am also not sure where it would go.
Lastly, I would really like to wire it so that only the bridge pickup is connected to the tone pot.

Any help is appreciated
27ADB025-0559-4537-B11B-4D059215CD03.jpeg

So you want 3 controls essentially, right?

1.) Master Volume w/treble bleed
2.) Bridge Pickup Tone Control
3.) Bridge Pickup Coil Split wired to the Push/pull

Do you have room for another pot? A coil splitter pot might be more flexible.
I really don't. I would like to avoid modifying the pickguard.
I am also thinking about doing push push pot but I assume that will be the same as the push pull.

I really don't. I would like to avoid modifying the pickguard.
I am also thinking about doing push push pot but I assume that will be the same as the push pull.

Do you happen to know the approximate DC resistance of the bridge humbucker?

I've done the partial coil-split mod on a couple of my guitars and a friend's guitar. I recommend a 10K trimpot. Once you dial it in to your liking, you won't need to change it.

Having said that, there is another mod I like better. Wire the coil split switch to put the humbucker coils in parallel. Not quite the same as the PRS mod, but it does brighten things up and still retains full hum-cancellation.

I've done the partial coil-split mod on a couple of my guitars and a friend's guitar. I recommend a 10K trimpot. Once you dial it in to your liking, you won't need to change it.

Having said that, there is another mod I like better. Wire the coil split switch to put the humbucker coils in parallel. Not quite the same as the PRS mod, but it does brighten things up and still retains full hum-cancellation.
Thanks for the tip. I have considered parallel wiring. I am curious how it will sound with an HS guitar

EDIT: The pickup only has 3 conductors so I don't think I am able to do parallel wiring

Last edited:
I'm still wondering if it is possible to wire only the bridge pickup to the tone pot.

Also, I was thinking about trying 500k log volume and 250k log for the tone. Has anyone done any experimenting like this?

Back