Guvernator (kinda)

HamishR

I've built everything I have PCBs for at the moment, so while I'm waiting for some more to arrive I was thinking about what I'd like to do with a Guvernator. I actually had an original British built Guv'nor back in the day and used it for a few gigs. I remember wishing it has a hair more low end grunt and also remembered that the highs were a bit muffled.

So I worked up a Vero layout with no 470pF on the output. And it really doesn't need anything to reduce treble on the output - the treble pot does just fine. While I was at it I made the input cap 47nF (rather than 10nF) and the 100nF cap which comes from pin 2 via the 2K2 resistor - well I made that 220nF in the hope of creating a little more thump. And whether from what I did or just dumb luck (more the latter i'd say!) it sounds fab. So now I know what I want to do when the PCB arrives - and I might experiment with the clipping diodes too, although I don't mind the LEDs in this circuit. I keep the bass pot just below 1/2 way where before on my original I had it on full. Raising the bass gets me some pleasing thump which is cool. This is definitely better than my old one was.

The inside is a bit messy but everything works. I like this one! guvext.jpg guvint.jpg

I've built everything I have PCBs for at the moment, so while I'm waiting for some more to arrive I was thinking about what I'd like to do with a Guvernator. I actually had an original British built Guv'nor back in the day and used it for a few gigs. I remember wishing it has a hair more low end grunt and also remembered that the highs were a bit muffled.

So I worked up a Vero layout with no 470pF on the output. And it really doesn't need anything to reduce treble on the output - the treble pot does just fine. While I was at it I made the input cap 47nF (rather than 10nF) and the 100nF cap which comes from pin 2 via the 2K2 resistor - well I made that 220nF in the hope of creating a little more thump. And whether from what I did or just dumb luck (more the latter i'd say!) it sounds fab. So now I know what I want to do when the PCB arrives - and I might experiment with the clipping diodes too, although I don't mind the LEDs in this circuit. I keep the bass pot just below 1/2 way where before on my original I had it on full. Raising the bass gets me some pleasing thump which is cool. This is definitely better than my old one was.

The inside is a bit messy but everything works. I like this one!View attachment 3772View attachment 3773
I think it looks Fine!
A Bit of Snobbery with the Burr Brown thrown in as well, Ha Ha Ha!!!

Haha! It was honestly the closest IC I had. That Burr Brown has been in at least six different pedals.:oops: I do tend to build, demolish, build, demolish... I only keep the ones I like.

Haha! Cheers, but you can't see what's under the board!

Still waiting for Chuck to tell me what I did shouldn't make any difference. He'll be right of course... I wish I could be right for once but I'll have to wait until the subject is something I know about. :oops:

Back