Hakko FX-951

Yep, I didn't know Hakko made one of those. I've worked with a Pace station that had a similar type of swappable tip, but the element wasn't integrated into those.

I assume the tip cleaner is just sitting in the iron holder and can be removed / replaced?

I'd prefer a sponge there (and have seen some pics that had one), but being able to trash the tip cleaner and replace it with a new one is worth the upgrade alone to me... The one on my FX-888 gets so nasty and corroded over time, I've replaced the iron holder twice already.

Auto shutoff would be a welcomed feature as well.

Couldn't resist any longer. Got one coming Monday with three of my favorite-sized tips.
Lead-free solder and ground planes have been a real PIA with my 888. Plus, being able to hot-swap tips and have them immediately ready is damn handy.

Reactions: fig
I can't afford to hang out with you guys anymore....

Which tips did you get?
I like the 1.6mm chisel. For me, it's a sweet spot where it's small enough for SMD IC pins and big enough to do TH quickly. Though now that I will be able to hot-swap, I might need to experiment a bit.

I also ordered an extra orange sleeve to differentiate the tip I use for the lead-free.

Pb is toxic, so lots of folks opt for the "unleaded" version. Unfortunately, it's melting point is much higher, and it's chemical makeup is difficult to flow (and release). As a personal note, it also leaves a dull finish as it cools, much like a cold soldered joint. :)

PS: As for the different tip, I'll let @jubal81 answer. My guess is, one with a bit more contact surface?

Last edited:
I'm certainly not an expert but I have tried to educate myself a bit since I have a young daughter at home and I know that lead can have much more serious/immediate effects on kids. I might have overthought it, but what else am I gonna do?

I am convinced that with the amount of lead in solder and some basic precautions it can be safe. I have an over-shirt I keep in the garage as well as a pair of old work shorts that I wear when I'm working on pedals that I change before touching my daughter. I also use D-Wipes, which are designed to remove lead from skin, on my hands and face when I'm done, then I also wash up with regular soap and water.

My understanding also is that lead is safe to handle, it's the eating, rubbing your eyes, and picking your nose with lead on your hands that gets it in to your system, so I always keep my water (I think they put something addictive in LaCroixs) away from where I'm working and don't eat while working at all and try not to touch my face (something that is actually pretty easy with COVID training).

Most of the stuff I have read seem to consider the rosin fumes to be much more of a concern when it comes to soldering. For that I keep a little clip on fan blowing just above the workspace where I solder. The smoke goes up a couple of inches and then blows off to the side of the garage.

I'm also open to being wrong, so if anyone knows where I'm wrong I'd love to be right!

I handle lead solder similar to you, no soldering in the house, no food or drinks near the solder bench, and I always wash my hands immediately after soldering. It can be tedious at times, especially when troubleshooting / prototyping, but better safe than sorry.

I've never heard of D-Wipes, I'm going to have to see about getting some of those.

One thing folks tend to overlook is that lead-free solder has just as many (if not more) toxins than standard 60/40 lead solder.... it's just not lead.

When I used to work for the DOD there were SO many safety precautions it was ridiculous. Eye / ear protection for every day tasks. Super-Glue, Goo Gone, and regular isopropyl alcohol had to be stored in the Haz-Mat locker. We were even supposed to wear gloves when using wire cutters.
Ironically there were no standards in place for soldering... We had no fume extractors, no guidelines for handwashing, nothing.

One thing folks tend to overlook is that lead-free solder has just as many (if not more) toxins than standard 60/40 lead solder.... it's just not lead.
Best to practice safe usage and handling of any hazardous material, and solder (of any kind) is just that.

I've never heard of D-Wipes, I'm going to have to see about getting some of those.

I got them on amazon. There are a few different brands but I tend to go with the amazon recommendation. I don't have a way to test for lead, though, so they could just be really expensive wet-wipes as far as I know 😄

I got them on amazon. There are a few different brands but I tend to go with the amazon recommendation. I don't have a way to test for lead, though, so they could just be really expensive wet-wipes as far as I know 😄
I find they're more expensive on Amazon

I find they're more expensive on Amazon
Yeah, lots of household items tend to be. I'm not sure where is get them otherwise. I'd only heard of them because I searched something like "lead cleanup" on amazon.

Back