Hand of Vecna – Sushi Box Particle Accelerator

jhaneyzz

Behold. The HAND OF VECNA!

After multiple struggles with sourcing and stupidity I FINALLY completed this very sweet pedal.

Can't say enough good things about the circuit, the board, and Nathan's support.

This is the 3rd tube pedal I've built and it's got a lot of great things going for it.

• Build
    • Very clear and straightforward build
    • Very well documented BOM with URL to sources for the High Voltage parts you probably don't have on hand
    • Great detailed build document that makes sure you do things in the right order.
    • It's a very well designed board. not tight squeezes, not awkward placement of hot voltage regulators
    • It's a 250v tube pedal that fits in a 125B!!!
    • with plenty of space for cool lighting
    • Nathan even got the placement of the backlight LED right!
  • Sound
    • Plenty of volume, plenty of gain
    • Super pristine clarity (whatever that means, but yeah, the pedal made me say it so it must be true.
    • The tone stack is really nice
    • you can see in the first photo that I have the treble and bass down, this is because it has plenty of each of these to spare. I know that lots of Bassists really dig Sushi Box pedals. Im not a bassist, but the bass is there if you need it.
  • Usability
    • the Particle Accelerator super responsive to changes in the guitar volume control. i.e. dialing down the volume pot cleans up the signal really well. I have some solid state pedals that do this, but not nearly as well as this.
  • Also, I used the pre-drilled and routed enclosure Nathan makes on his CNC and the board just drops in like butter...

Beauty shot

IMG_6951 2.jpg

Guts...

IMG_6952 2.jpg

With all the Xmas lights on...

IMG_6953 2.jpg

That is sick. I dropped a build report over in MadBean. The etch on this totally nails the creepy Vecna vibe.

That is sick. I dropped a build report over in MadBean. The etch on this totally nails the creepy Vecna vibe.
My other PA is getting teh Vecna treatment but I cleaned up the art a bit so it should be really sweet.

Unfortunately, I'm only getting like 75V out of that board for some strange reason. Still working through it. Going to replace components.

My other PA is getting teh Vecna treatment but I cleaned up the art a bit so it should be really sweet.

Unfortunately, I'm only getting like 75V out of that board for some strange reason. Still working through it. Going to replace components.
For anyone viewing in the future. I've found that flowing PLENTY of solder on the pads connecting the tube holder to the PCB really helps avoid issues with the tube circuits i've built.

Back