• International Mail Service Disruptions
    A large number of international shipments have been disrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic. International shipments may experience longer than normal delivery times.
    Read more…

Have any “mythical” components made a difference?

MightySmallElectrons

Just wondering if any of you experienced builders have found a “mojo” component that you felt made a big difference to your builds?
A certain brand of capacitor or resistor? Mica instead of Ceramic or just any ingredient that makes enough of a difference that you go out of your way for them?

Barry

I think we all hear things differently, I can't discern much difference, but know guys who can hear the slightest variance and tell you what note you're pulling sharp in a given chord, considering my playing abilities I'm kind of glad my ear is not that good

JetFixxxer

I'm not a believer in "mythical" stuff nor T-Tops or PIO caps. In my opinion just power of suggestion.

That being said if you hear a difference then you hear a difference.

Here's a video about Audio myths

Here's an article about "vintage" vs modern along with video

Last edited:

Joben Magooch

I am not an expert by any means, but in my (admittedly limited) experience I've found that most "mojo" seems to come down to part tolerances/spec more than the 'mythical' part itself.

I would wager if you made two identical Klon clones and told others that one had the magic original Klon diodes in it and the other didn't, many would tell you that the one with the diodes sounds better in some way - even if they're totally the same in reality. That's not to say that those parts don't have an impact, but I think it's hard to avoid having our ears influenced by that information - just the way it is.

And of course there's the issue of "different =/= worse" - perhaps a specific set of components is needed for "that" sound and a close approximation isn't quite there. Not worse, but different. Such is the case (again, in my limited experience) with these magic mojo parts - it's often not the case that a substitute is *worse* than the magic part, just different.

But, like I said - just my humble anecdotal experiences.

MightySmallElectrons

I'm not a believer in "mythical" stuff nor T-Tops or PIO caps. In my opinion just power of suggestion.

That being said if you hear a difference then you hear a difference.

Here's a video about Audio myths

Here's an article about "vintage" vs modern along with video

Very interesting experiments...thanks for those.

I’ve been planning building identical circuits with different components just to hear for myself. Plan was to do the Mach 1 Overdrive on the cheap first and then with all the Gucci stuff.i thought maybe a “transparent overdrive” would be a good choice to hear the subtleties.

I just can’t seem to get the cheap build right:)

jjjimi84

I always feel like when mojo parts or expensive this or that needs to be taken in context.

For instance, when I play a jtm45 on ten with a ribbon mic on the grill cloth and a condenser a few feet away and that gets put through a preamp and compressor then mixed and maybe A little eq to set in the mix better, a magic resistor doesn’t mean shit.

Now will the combination of parts that makes that pedal special to me and have a certain feel make me play different, sure. But NOS unicorn tear diodes are not going to make the difference when I double track and add drums, keys, and bass.

Just my two cents.

HamishR

Carbon comp resistors are a major mojo component which make no sense to me. People rave about the "warmth" of carbon comp resistors. I've never heard it. the only times I do hear a difference with carbon comp resistors are when (a) they have drifted so far in value as dropping resistors on the B+ in an amp that the amp can hardly be heard, or (b) when they develop crackling, arcing noises from air bubbles inside them.

I once restored a '65 Super Reverb which was barely loud enough to rehearse with. I went through and measured all the components and found that the 100K dropping resistors feeding the plates on the preamp tubes had drifted so much as to measure over 1meg in some places. Put some new 100K resistors in and the amp nearly took my head off!

And I've replaced a fair few CC resistors in a friend's Matchless amp when they became ridiculously noisy. And Matchless amps don't sound particularly "warm" to me - mostly they're very loud and almost brittle sounding.