Help me wire up 10lbs of crap in a 5lb box? Modded Muff with Squidward octave

PangeaDestructor

Sorry if this isn't the right forum, I can move if so. Been staring at this mess for an hour now, and not for the first time. I probably do it once a week. I keep looking at it for a while and getting close, then going "nope, not today." Ignore the missing diodes on the pedalpcb intelligent relay bypass, i have those here and will add them later today. Jacks and power will be at the top, and to help with the power i have the DC jack breakout board. To complicate things further, I'd like to try and cram the pedalpcb order switcher in here, close to the top at the center right beneath the DC jack. Box is a tall version 1590bb, so there should be enough vertical space.

What we've got here is a modded green russian built on a guitarpcb muff'n fuzz, with the clipping, tonebender, LP/HP and mids control mods. This is going to be controlled by the buff n' blend right below it, which includes a clean blend pot. I've tested this board and it sounds great.

Next door is a Squidward (currently upside down for some reason), controlled by (a) the intelligent relay bypass, so that it has momentary and latching function, and (b) a Mask Audio jfet blender (https://maskaudioelectronics.com/products/utility-blender) to blend in and control the amount of octave. I'll probably wrap the squid in something non-conductive to keep it from shorting or bouncing around too much in there.

I emailed Alec at Mask about how to wire up the blender here, and he said "The send and return on the blender would go to the in and out of the octave, the input of the blender would be the input of the pedal and the output of the blender would be to the input of the muff." This is more or less clear to me, but when you throw in the footswitch boards and - possibly - an order switcher, I start going cross-eyed again.

I cannot for the life of me organize where to make each of the connections, so if anyone has nothing better to do and wants to help out with either written help or some ms-paint style markups of the attached pics, I'd love any support I can get on this. Included a pic of the enclosure top in case it's helpful to try and visualize hopefully the end result.

Attachments

• IMG_0177.jpg
    IMG_0177.jpg
    605.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0178.jpg
    IMG_0178.jpg
    533.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Editing to add where I'm at so far:

In jack --> Blender In

Blender O --> Buff In

Blender S/R --> Squid I/O

Buff S/R --> Muff I/O

Buff O --> Int. Bypass I, Int. Bypass O --> Out jack

Int. G/Switch --> Squid G/Switch

I highly suggest you get a sheet of pepper and list all your inputs and outputs and then write down the signal flow and think about the interfaces at every board and connection point.

This is the fun part of multi builds man it’s a great learning experience! Take a shot at it and post what you come up with

L🧡VE the name, artwork, and concept.

What ADAOCE said, you've gotta BLOCK-DIAGRAM that sucker!

Leave room to add the order-switcher in later, but leave it out for now as you're already discombobulated by everything going on.

Part of the confusion may be that you have 2 blender circuits going on. It's not clear to me where you want the Green Ringer *(Squidward). Forget about the clean-blends for a minute... decide where the GR and Muff go.

GR > MUFF
MUFF > GR

Now add in the blenders, and then the bypass (BnB is already the bypass for the Muff)...

You have 5 boards, so draw out 5 blocks...

I'll draw up how I'd try to do it with the order switcher, emphasis on "try"...

Then we can how our solutions may differ if at all.

Attachments

• MUFF GR Order.png
    MUFF GR Order.png
    545.2 KB · Views: 6
L🧡VE the name, artwork, and concept.

What ADAOCE said, you've gotta BLOCK-DIAGRAM that sucker!

Leave room to add the order-switcher in later, but leave it out for now as you're already discombobulated by everything going on.

Part of the confusion may be that you have 2 blender circuits going on. It's not clear to me where you want the Green Ringer *(Squidward). Forget about the clean-blends for a minute... decide where the GR and Muff go.

GR > MUFF
MUFF > GR

Now add in the blenders, and then the bypass (BnB is already the bypass for the Muff)...

You have 5 boards, so draw out 5 blocks...

I'll draw up how I'd try to do it with the order switcher, emphasis on "try"...

Then we can how our solutions may differ if at all.
I would post the block diagram drawings I've done so far, but they make the inside of that box look like a work of art. I'll try and map out another one after I get tired of doing actual work. In my experience, the ringer sounds way better before a fuzz than after, but I was hoping the ability to blend it in/out would help tame that. The way I have this set up though, without an order switcher it would probably end up going after. Hmmm.

Thanks!

Edit - I just noticed the drawing you shared, double thanks for that!

Well if the GR sounds better before...

What about putting the Green Ringer in the Clean Blend of the BnB?

Then you'd have the GR in TANDEM with the Muff, and with a translocater switch (similar to an order switch) you could have the GR in Tandem OR feeding the muff.

If you kept the second blender you could blend in CLEAN & GR in tandem with the Muff, but I'd try bleeding the GR to ground, or is it the 2nd clean... probably the 2nd clean would need to be bled to ground as you might get horrific feedback blending two clean channels...

Back