How can I desolder an “uncleanable” pcb pad?

farwest1

One of the through-board pads on a pcb I’m working on accidentally filled with solder, with no component in it. Now I can’t get the solder out.

I’ve tried to clean the solder out of it with both a desoldering braid and pump, but I just can’t get a clean hole to reappear. I’ve also tried re-heating the solder and forcing a wire end through, but can’t.

any additional ideas? Can I use a very small drill bit to re-drill the hole? Force an awl or needle through it? Are there other techniques?

Same problem.
Usually I fix it with my SS-02 Solder Sucker (as mentioned above), but when I made mistake with strained wire, is very hard to clean the hole due strains that retains the tin.
I'm wondering if some desoldering liquid can works or will harm the pcb.

I always do this:
1. Put on some more solder while heating up the pad/joint.
2. Remove the solder with an Engineer SS-02 Solder Sucker (a really efficient Japanese solder pump)
As stated above, the Engineer SS-2 solder sucker is worth every dollars. The flexible tube end allow to cover the whole area. I wound It made all the difference. It's one of the tools I would not go without.

If none of the above work, a thumbtack or small pin needle can punch through the solder. I have done this in tight situations and then was able to put a wire through for installation or to get the extra solder off. Just be careful not to heat the board up too much or the pads might come off with.

Just yesterday I was building a Squidward and I filled an empty hole by mistake. I spent hours trying out all the above suggestions and still nothing.
It doesn't help that the PCB is so cramped and the holes so tiny. Why must the holes be so damn tiny?!
I might or might not have sent a few curses on PedalPCB's way... :)

Toothpicks and drill bits are too big. I bought the thinnest needles I could find but I doubt they'll work since they bend so easily. I'm this close to trashing the PCB.

End of rant, sorry, this thread triggered me

Just yesterday I was building a Squidward and I filled an empty hole by mistake. I spent hours trying out all the above suggestions and still nothing.
It doesn't help that the PCB is so cramped and the holes so tiny. Why must the holes be so damn tiny?!
I might or might not have sent a few curses on PedalPCB's way... :)

Toothpicks and drill bits are too big. I bought the thinnest needles I could find but I doubt they'll work since they bend so easily. I'm this close to trashing the PCB.

End of rant, sorry, this thread triggered me
Sounds like you are talking about a via. These are small (~10-20mills) holes used to connect traces on different sides of the board. These can be filled with solder without worry.

Back