How do you clean your PCBs? Help a noob out!

andare

My experience with cleaning flux residue off PCBs has been spotty.

I use IPA and a toothbrush.

If I do it right after populating the board it cleans up fine.
If I wait a couple of days (which is 99% of the time because I can never finish a board in one go) I end up spreading a sticky mess all over and several solder joints require reflowing.

How do you guys do it and what do you use?

Thanks!

I use IPA & a toothbrush. It's ok to clean the board more than once during the build. If you don't use enough IPA, then you're just spreading the flux around. I flood the board with IPA in a small pie tin before installing the pots. After installing the pots, I spot clean any residual flux. Don't let dirty IPA get into the pots.

How important is cleaning? I’ve seen opinions from absolutely necessary to not at all.

I’ve built a bunch with Kester 60/40 and never cleaned since the appearance doesn’t really bother me. I have always had the nagging wonder if I should go back and clean up the boards though.

Thanks!

How important is cleaning? I’ve seen opinions from absolutely necessary to not at all.

I’ve built a bunch with Kester 60/40 and never cleaned since the appearance doesn’t really bother me. I have always had the nagging wonder if I should go back and clean up the boards though.

Thanks!

If you’re not using additional flux it may not seem as necessary.

I use IPA (something hoppy, but with a nice malty finish) and a toothbrush (an orange one, for better tone). Sometimes a blast of CRC cuts through good, but then you have to clean the CRC residue off…

Its like not washing your hands after dropping a duce, sure you can get away with it but you may or may not have some problems down the road. and when we see you do it we think “that’s nasty”🤣

Last edited:
90% IPA with a toothbrush then when I'm totally finished populating a board I run over it with QD cleaner and a toothbrush for that shiny, buffed looked.

I use MG Chemicals flux remover for PC board with a tooth brush and kim wipes. It is strong so I don't know if there is a down side on using this product but it seems to be working so far.

Attachments

• Capture d’écran, le 2022-02-22 à 10.13.06.png
    Capture d’écran, le 2022-02-22 à 10.13.06.png
    236.1 KB · Views: 5
I have used this for years and it is awesome
Certainly seams to get the flux out without any of the hard work. I obviously do out before installing the pots. So far it doesn't seam to damage anything on the component side where it might drip every now and then ... which I clean right away with kim wipes when it does.

Back