How long did it take you to realize shipping fees

Dan0h

I am realizing what a huge impact shipping has on the overall cost of this hobby. The first month I was so excited that I was just firing off orders on a whim. I should have just made a wish list and made larger orders instead of tons of small orders for each pedal. Anyways, just wondering how long it took you guys to figure that out. So far shipping has been about 20% of my build costs. More noob learning curve.

BuddytheReow

Shipping can be a real pain, especially if you need to go through multiple sources. I live in the states and Tayda shipping is pretty good ($85 order for 4 pedals and only $6 shipping).

Try to get your parts from as few sources as possible. Also order multiple projects at the same time; you'd be surprised how little "extra" the shipping is.

Jovi Bon Kenobi

Too long, I reckon. But what has invariably has happened for me is that every time I wanted to order a PCB I add the components needed to a Google Spreadsheet which became my inventory list, but I wouldn't buy the PCB yet, I would just add it to a to-buy tab in my spreadsheet. Once I had a number of projects lined up (say, 20) I would buy the PCB's. I would tally up components from the spreadsheet and then put a big order in from suppliers and order more of the most common stuff. The bigger the list of projects that I add to the spreadsheet, the more I save. It was pretty time consuming setting up the spreadsheet but it saves me a lot of hassle. Doing it this way allows me to check my list to see if I have everything needed for a possible future build, which as long as it's not something with super rare, I could most likely build. The components that I most often need to reorder are pots, in/out jacks, and boxes because I just don't have the space.

spi

I try to batch as much as I can to minimize orders, but yeah, it's a price to pay.
It's especially frustrating when you just need one or two things that a supplier doesn't have stocked, forcing you to make that extra order to another.

Dan0h

Too long, I reckon. But what has invariably has happened for me is that every time I wanted to order a PCB I add the components needed to a Google Spreadsheet which became my inventory list, but I wouldn't buy the PCB yet, I would just add it to a to-buy tab in my spreadsheet. Once I had a number of projects lined up (say, 20) I would buy the PCB's. I would tally up components from the spreadsheet and then put a big order in from suppliers and order more of the most common stuff. The bigger the list of projects that I add to the spreadsheet, the more I save. It was pretty time consuming setting up the spreadsheet but it saves me a lot of hassle. Doing it this way allows me to check my list to see if I have everything needed for a possible future build, which as long as it's not something with super rare, I could most likely build. The components that I most often need to reorder are pots, in/out jacks, and boxes because I just don't have the space.
I’ve got a mean spreadsheet going as well. Which is why I know how much I’ve wasted on shipping fees. Lol. My problem is the plan was just to build two pedals. Then it magically becam 12 pedals. And more than not they require odd ball components only found via small dealers.

Jovi Bon Kenobi

I’ve got a mean spreadsheet going as well. Which is why I know how much I’ve wasted on shipping fees. Lol. My problem is the plan was just to build two pedals. Then it magically becam 12 pedals. And more than not they require odd ball components only found via small dealers.
Well, then it's good you started the spreadsheet that early on in your DIY disorder. :sneaky:

Dali

I don't order parts or PedalPCB's PCBs until I got at least 5 pedals to make. Always did.

Pro tip : By checking inventory and Tayda first, you may realize a part is some unobtainium. May be a good idea to drop it from the basket.

(obviously not a pro tip, a worry-free, I-won't-buy-parts-from-eBay-ever-again guy)

SYLV9ST9R

I don't order parts or PedalPCB's PCBs until I got at least 5 pedals to make. Always did.

Pro tip : By checking inventory and Tayda first, you may realize a part is some unobtainium. May be a good idea to drop it from the basket.

(obviously not a pro tip, a worry-free, I-won't-buy-parts-from-eBay-ever-again guy)
I had good luck with a handful of parts I bought off eBay (I you thread carefully, you can sometimes find legit stuff, but at a bit of a cost).

My main problem is when I'm ready for order, something's always sold out. And when I get the restock notification, something else is missing... :rolleyes:

Coda

I try to order as much as I can from as few sites as possible. The dream is a one order/one pedal build...which has never happened. A few months ago I arrived at what I thought could be a solution to the issue: I decided to plan 3 pedals at once. I placed two giant orders...and later realized I forgot 3 or 4 pieces. One more order...and was sent the wrong parts. Now I have three builds going and none of them are going well. You live/learn, I suppose...

Barry

I've always bought a bunch of anything I ordered hoping to eventually be completely stocked, but it never ends, seems every build has that one part I don't have, so I try to inventory what else I may be short on, as well as upcoming builds. Then I shop around hoping to get it all from 1 or 2 sources, and like PedalPCB there's always that one thing you missed!:mad:

PedalPCB

Administrator
Staff member
As I intend to keep this firmly as a hobby and not a business I refuse point blank to do spreadsheets on anything related to pedal building.

I've gotten to the point where I order every part I need for a build, every time. I don't even bother trying to see what I already have on hand...

Any excess parts are thrown into the bins and used later for prototyping, repairs, or the random quick build I want to throw together.

HamishR

I like having enough parts on hand that I can often build a new pedal without having to order anything. It all fits in a drawer. Except the pots, enclosures, wire and boards. And knobs. And transistors.

Like I said, it all fits in a drawer.

Jovi Bon Kenobi

It's definitely cool having parts on hand. I agree about the spreadsheets though. It was A LOT of work. Especially considering that I've never used spreadsheets before so trying to learn it was a pain. For me, I feel guilty that I still don't know what I'm really doing as far as understanding electronics. Lol. Like, just think how kind some people are here to take the time to help toubleshoot people's builds. That is not easy. This hobby rabbit hole can definitely consume you. Warning, this is just some of components storage of one who still can't read a schematic or troubleshoot. Don't be him. ?
PXL_20201114_164841127.jpg

Last edited:

BuddytheReow

It's definitely cool having parts on hand. I agree about the spreadsheets though. It was A LOT of work. Especially considering that I've never used spreadsheets before so trying to learn it was a pain. For me, I feel guilty that I still don't know what I'm really doing as far as understanding electronics. Lol. Like, just think how kind some people are here to take the time to help toubleshoot people's builds. That is not easy. This hobby rabbit hole can definitely consume you. Warning, this is just some of components storage of one who still can't read a schematic or troubleshoot. Don't be him. ?
View attachment 7711
How long did that take to amass such a component collection? Also curious on the cost... this may be me in a few years lol

Jovi Bon Kenobi

Well, most of it was acquired, organized, and streamlined to be PedalPCB specific last year, but I started in 2013 on vero with a 5 year dry spell in-between. Hard to say how much, but definitely over a thousand. Sold maybe 40 pedals I made on CL to fund the growing collection of doodads.

Last edited: