How to learn to design PCBs?

Travis

Hi!

I wanna learn how to make my own PCBs. I would like to learn only out of curiosity. What do you recommend me to do?

Thanks!

Hi!

I wanna learn how to make my own PCBs. I would like to learn only out of curiosity. What do you recommend me to do?

Thanks!
I'm on this path too. The DIYGUITARPEDALS YouTube channel has some videos about designing PCBs using Diptrace, I've found them pretty good. There is still a whole lot I don't understand yet.

I'm on this path too. The DIYGUITARPEDALS YouTube channel has some videos about designing PCBs using Diptrace, I've found them pretty good. There is still a whole lot I don't understand yet.
I'll take a look! Thanks!

Spend some time watching youtube videos. You'll get the basic workflow. I am not goig to recommend any particular software. You should instal two or three different programs and choose which one you like better (in terms of the interface, etc..). I'd like to point you in one direction - integration of the schematic and layout. I'd choose a software in which you have to start with a proper schematic then go and design a pcb. This way you'll save a lot of time troubleshooting non working device (missing tracks, missing components, etc).

You may also want to try breadboarding following a schematic to better understand how the circuit functions. I think the key is understand the schematic and to be able to understand how the different components interact within the design of the circuit.

I've started using KiCad which is free

Be prepared for a wee bit of frustration though there's a lot to learn perhaps start with the usual easy stuff a nice simple boost to get used to it and actually produce a pcb

Lots of good advice given here and as people have said plenty on u tube to get you started

Back