How to print out a Tayda drill template to scale?

JTEX

Does anyone know a good way to print a Tayda drill template (from their Tayda Box Tool) on a piece of paper, to 100% scale? I really want to lay it on top of my already hand-drilled box to make sure I didn't eff something up before placing an order -- and it has to line up precisely.

Does anyone know a good way to print a Tayda drill template (from their Tayda Box Tool) on a piece of paper, to 100% scale? I really want to lay it on top of my already hand-drilled box to make sure I didn't eff something up before placing an order -- and it has to line up precisely.
Do you have illustrator?

Watch out for that “it has to line up precisely“. Tayda themselves warn that all drill holes may be off by as much as a millimeter or a little more. I just got back my first custom drill and printing pieces from them today – they look amazing and most of them are drilled exactly where they should be – but there are a few where they are, yes, about a millimeter off. And I made absolutely 100% sure that everything matched up between the art I was submitting and the drill template I had created in the toolbox.

Watch out for that “it has to line up precisely“. Tayda themselves warn that all drill holes may be off by as much as a millimeter or a little more. I just got back my first custom drill and printing pieces from them today – they look amazing and most of them are drilled exactly where they should be – but there are a few where they are, yes, about a millimeter off. And I made absolutely 100% sure that everything matched up between the art I was submitting and the drill template I had created in the toolbox.
Was the drilling 1mm off, or the art printing? 1mm drill tolerance is huge. I can (usually) do better by hand, if I take my time. Imagine if PCB houses had a 1mm drill tolerance. No vias would ever work.

Was the drilling 1mm off, or the art printing? 1mm drill tolerance is huge. I can (usually) do better by hand, if I take my time. Imagine if PCB houses had a 1mm drill tolerance. No vias would ever work.
The drilling was off. Perhaps not a a full mm but the art was perfectly centered and items that I had designed to go around a drill hole with the drill hole in the center, the drill hole was slightly off-center. I can live with it and it’s specifically what they warn will happen, but just to be aware. I’ll update with a picture shortly.

edit - here are some pictures. It’s not a huge amount, but definitely off-center. On the gray one, it may or may not be more noticeable once I put knobs in On the yellow pedals, it’s less noticeable and, for the LED, I designed it to a much tighter tolerance than I should have, so it would’ve been very difficult to get back to line up perfectly. When I designed the drill templates, I made sure they matched exactly to the same coordinates that were on the art as the center drill points, and vice versa.

Attachments

• 54E5D987-A407-450A-B05B-0E66C1EF9413.jpeg
    54E5D987-A407-450A-B05B-0E66C1EF9413.jpeg
    568.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 7FF8CF8E-A8D1-4792-995D-03B9A850A507.jpeg
    7FF8CF8E-A8D1-4792-995D-03B9A850A507.jpeg
    264.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 7538D386-9608-41C7-AF4B-2A5B3243D7C8.jpeg
    7538D386-9608-41C7-AF4B-2A5B3243D7C8.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Well, I'm screwed. I guess I'll have to do all drilling myself, and my pedal has about 25 holes... Everything is on one PCB: jacks, switches, pots etc. Thank you very much for the info and pics, though. Very helpful.

Back