SOLVED Hydra Delay: No Delay

PedalGuy

Hello people, this is my second build. No idea what's wrong with my Hydra Delay; The LED does NOT turn on (and no, it's not broken. I'm assuming the flat spot on my LED is the Cathode and should go in the hole labeled "K"). Then there is another problem; When I turn the on the effect, I can hear my clean guitar signal but when Mix is at 100% wet, I cannot hear anything. With my guitar volume maxed out I can get a barely noticeable audio signal. Using my headphone amp I was able to get something that's at least audible, though the signal sounds dry to me. I have used an audio probe to check pin 1 and pin 28 on my FV-1 (that I have soldered myself) and I do get a signal on both pins (though the signal coming out of pin 28 is moderately to significantly quieter, which is to be expected(?)). I have measured a couple of pins and the ones that I have measured are all "alive". I have also checked R17 and pin 7 on IC5. I get the clean unaltered (though quieter) signal on those as well. Any ideas? Pictures can be found here. The schematic can be found here.

Reactions: fig
First, make sure the second row of pots are not touching anything on the back of the board. Secondly, when using 1/4w resistors for a 1/8w resistor build, you need to be extra careful that nothing is touching something it shouldn’t be touching. No LED suggests that something may be grounding out.

Can a faulty crystal be part of the problem? Probably safe to ignore this and I know it's not the same pedal but when I built my BuGGFX Daydream, I had the same problem of the sound going away when maxing mix and other issues. On mine I replaced the crystal and it fixed that.

Can a faulty crystal be part of the problem? Probably safe to ignore this and I know it's not the same pedal but when I built my BuGGFX Daydream, I had the same problem of the sound going away when maxing mix and other issues. On mine I replaced the crystal and it fixed that.
I'll try replacing the crystal... Unfortunately I don't have a spare so it'll be a couple of days before I can do that.

I wouldn’t dive in with replacing parts at this time. Narrow down the problem before you start replacing parts. Make an audio probe to see if you get output at the output of the FV-1. If not you can short pin 13 to ground to see if you get any effect.

A few of the FV-1 pins look like they could do with more solder.

I agree with JamieJ on not starting to replace components yet. I would definitely reflow the solder first and touch up around the FV-1. Then see if you get any wet signal straight from the chip using an audio probe. Most likely you have a cold solder joint somewhere.

Also have a look at this:

I wouldn’t dive in with replacing parts at this time. Narrow down the problem before you start replacing parts. Make an audio probe to see if you get output at the output of the FV-1. If not you can short pin 13 to ground to see if you get any effect.

A few of the FV-1 pins look like they could do with more solder.
"I have used an audio probe to check pin 1 and pin 28 on my FV-1 [...] and I do get a signal on both pins (though the signal coming out of pin 28 is moderately to significantly quieter [...]"

I have also measured the voltages on IC3 (the FV-1):
Pin 01: 1.63V
Pin 11: 0.00V
Pin 12: 0.00V
Pin 15: 3.30V
Pin 16: 3.30V
Pin 23: 3.30V
Pin 28: 0.37V

On IC4 (L78L33):
Pin 1: 3.30V
Pin 2: 0.00V

On IC2 (24LC32A):
Pins 1-4: 0.00V
Pin 5: 2.46V
Pin 8: 3.30V

I'm fairly confident the pins are all connected, as I have already checked for continuity (though I might have touched the actual PCB so I could try re-soldering it).

Everything seems to be working but when Mix is at 100% I still don't hear ANYTHING. I do hear the delay effect on 90% or 70% etc. All other controls are working as intended though! It's very noisy; probably because I'm using a plastic enclosure.

The LED is working now; I re-soldered it and that's all it took. It also solved the noise issue for some reason. The Mix control still reduces the volume and I cannot hear anything when it's all the way up even though the wet and dry signals are both audible at any other ratio.

Back