Hydra Delay

I am almost finished my hydra build and scouring the forum for design and mod inspiration. Your build is awesome. I love how all of the nuts on the switches line up (not sure if that was intentional).

Thanks, Jamie! It was sort of intentional and probably the only times I managed to align so many! 😂

Fantastic! I haven't built any of the FV-1 pedals (yet). I did see that the chip is pre-soldered so that loosens the sphincter a tad, but they are always out of stock so I will put it on the wishlist.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, fig! I haven't ventured myself into the SMD world just yet, so I chose the pre-soldered option. It was out of stock for a while, so I waited until it showed up to order it.

Reactions: fig
I’ve seen a few SMD soldering tutorials and they make it look so easy but I haven’t tried it myself either. Seems you are okay with your normal soldering iron tip but it’s good to have quite fine solder. I didn’t fancy testing my SMD soldering on a $18 dollar chips so I had mine pre-soldered too.

I’ve seen a few SMD soldering tutorials and they make it look so easy but I haven’t tried it myself either. Seems you are okay with your normal soldering iron tip but it’s good to have quite fine solder. I didn’t fancy testing my SMD soldering on a $18 dollar chips so I had mine pre-soldered too.
If you’re just soldering a single smd chip like on the majority of FV1 boards, your easiest option is probably to just get some solder paste and a cheap toaster oven that you use only for non-food stuff. It’s super easy that way, and you can also use the toaster to cure paints and try DIY powdercoating

If you're confident with your soldering, you'll be fine with finer solder. I did a full on SMD project and it went great for the best part. I almost ruined a chip I paid too much for (reflowing it when it wasn't the problem...), but all was working in the end.

I say that, but I also just ordered a VHS board with the chip already soldered ;)

Looks fantastic!

I figured it was very intentional based on the carefully positioned pots, but the nut on the stomper cinched the assessment.

So far all my PedalPCB boards with FV-1 have been ordered pre-soldered. The most recent round I had to sideline the Leprechaun once again due to unavailability of the FV-1. Plenty in the queue to do and the Leap-a-chronic will get its due eventually.

Back