Hydra Delay

JamieJ

Finished up my hydra build yesterday and it sounds great. I’ve only played it for a short period and it seems there are loads of delay sounds available in it that I need to explore. I got the FV-1 pre soldered. I also decided to live dangerously and not test it before I boxed it. Luckily I got away with it! 😊

I added a momentary feedback mod to the swell pot which isn’t working as planned at the moment so I need to investigate that. It’s got a 50k trimmer connected to lug three. I think I got this from a thread that @jjjimi84 posted.

Anyone else added momentary feedback to their hydra build??

I added a 100% dry mod to the mix pot which is based on @jubal81 previous build which is a great addition to fine tune the mix. It’s a bit tight for space so there is a sub miniature SPDT hidden underneath the input jack to be able to revert back to the normal design of the pedal. I also changed the mix pot to A10k.

I like the look of the original binson echorec design so went for a gold enclosure and green LED to mirror the magic eye of the original. The faceplate makes it look so good.

I also make a massive error on my last parts order as the 47u caps are massive and look stupid but I went with it anyway. I might change those in the future.

Any tips on any magic hydra settings??

Attachments

• F5AFA987-F840-4AA7-9838-A8A1621BB3BC.jpeg
    F5AFA987-F840-4AA7-9838-A8A1621BB3BC.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 239
  • 1670A3B2-D44A-4A9D-A1F8-3535D881A744.jpeg
    1670A3B2-D44A-4A9D-A1F8-3535D881A744.jpeg
    201.4 KB · Views: 245
  • D872D2FA-8A1B-4E0E-BEE5-0EDC09078A6D.jpeg
    D872D2FA-8A1B-4E0E-BEE5-0EDC09078A6D.jpeg
    234.2 KB · Views: 233
  • 707FF47D-084F-4CAF-B6E0-224B773764B6.jpeg
    707FF47D-084F-4CAF-B6E0-224B773764B6.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 194
Really nice work. Gold box and green LED really make it pop, too.

I run it with just the 3 switch on. It's the only delay on my board and those mix mods really made it work for me.

Really nice work. Gold box and green LED really make it pop, too.

I run it with just the 3 switch on. It's the only delay on my board and those mix mods really made it work for me.
Thanks. Yeah, if I build one again, I won’t bother with the switch and just have pin 3 clipped all the time. Thanks for sharing the idea for this mod.

Reactions: fig
66FD082A-1379-4625-B7DE-75C5A9EEF34B.jpeg I managed to play a bit this morning with my amp at decent volume and my full board. I was playing around with some delay settings and found something that sounded pretty good to me.

All 4 heads of the hydra are on with the speed knob 95-100% CW to give a snap back type delay. Repeats are 100%CCW and use the mix knob to taste. It gives the hydra almost a doubling delay type of sound.

I then ran that into a longer delay (carbon copy) with a short amount of repeats and it sounded pretty awesome.

View attachment 18459I managed to play a bit this morning with my amp at decent volume and my full board. I was playing around with some delay settings and found something that sounded pretty good to me.

All 4 heads of the hydra are on with the speed knob 95-100% CW to give a snap back type delay. Repeats are 100%CCW and use the mix knob to taste. It gives the hydra almost a doubling delay type of sound.

I then ran that into a longer delay (carbon copy) with a short amount of repeats and it sounded pretty awesome.

What color is that enclosure?

Nice. I can’t find a color Tayda that seems suitable. The Pantone swatch looks the part but the finished color seems too yellow.
Yeah, they don’t have any gold powder coat. I’ve tried suggesting it a few times, but I’m guessing they’re either not interested or not able to get a gold powder that will be suitable

Yeah, they don’t have any gold powder coat. I’ve tried suggesting it a few times, but I’m guessing they’re either not interested or not able to get a gold powder that will be suitable
Tayda has no lack of input from the the braintrust found at this site. Hugo: Look! 20 more emails from PedalPCB people and it's not lunchtime! 🤣

I managed to play a bit this morning with my amp at decent volume and my full board. I was playing around with some delay settings and found something that sounded pretty good to me.

Perfect timing sir! I always love to run the first audio test with someone's suggested settings. Which of the mods would you likely do again or suggest if asked by some random old dude on the interweb?

Head combos 1,2 & 4 / 1, 3 & 4 are some of my favourites as well.

I wouldn’t bother with the momentary feedback FS if i built it again. I would keep the mix pot mod where you clip pin three. I wouldn’t put it on a switch - I would just clip it.

Reactions: fig
Back